Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
Hyatt has always offered a pretty compelling loyalty program even if it has made qualifying for its top-tier status a monumental challenge for those of us who aren’t road warriors.
The problem with Hyatt has always been that its relatively small footprint makes it incredibly difficult to be loyal to the program as, in many locations, there simply isn’t a Hyatt property at which to stay.
While the likes of Marriott and Hilton offer multiple properties (across numerous price points) at most locations people enjoy visiting, Hyatt properties can be pretty hard to find….and that can be frustrating.
Over the past year there have been some positive sounding noises coming out of Hyatt’s Chicago headquarters as we’ve heard about a new property coming to London, the opening (finally!) of the Grand Hyatt Abu Dhabi, a new property in Barcelona and a few other expansion plans too…but now Hyatt has announced its biggest single expansion project for some time – the West Coast is to get 40 new Hyatt properties by 2021.
By the end of 2021 Hyatt expects to have added 40 properties to its portfolio across California, Oregon and Washington which will increase the number of Hyatt properties across those three states to 129 – that represents an increase of almost 45% over the next three years.
The full list of new properties is published below but here are two that stand out to me:
Park Hyatt Los Angeles
I’m a big fan of the Park Hyatt brand (even if I think that the New York property is overpriced) so to hear that a Park Hyatt is coming to LA is fantastic news.
The new Park Hyatt Los Angeles is set to open at Oceanwide Plaza in Downtown…..
….right across the road from the Staples Center and the LA LIVE complex (which includes a Ritz-Carlton and a number of other Marriott brand hotels) and just a few block from the relatively new InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown.
The new Park Hyatt will offer 184 guestrooms and 164 residences when it finally opens but with the original 1 March 2020 opening date having been pushed back some time ago and with the property still only committing to opening “in 2021”, it’s anyone’s guess as to when we’ll finally be able to walk through the doors.
Andaz Palm Springs
The Andaz Palm Springs will be located at 400 N. Palm Canyon Drive (as you drive into town on Hwy 111) so will fall towards the center of everything downtown Palm Springs has to offer:
The property will offer 150 “trendy living spaces” that will each offer courtyard, city or mountain views (the latter should be the one to go for) and will include 1,300 square feet “pool house suites” complete with wraparound balconies.
With its own Argentinian restaurant (amongst others), its spa, gym and sizeable pool this should be a nice property for anyone looking to escape the colder winters elsewhere in the US.
The property was originally slated to open in “fall 2019” but with the project still nowhere near complete and with the hotel still labeled as “coming soon”, it may be a while before guests get to check it out.
Full List Of New Hyatt West Coast Properties Coming By The End Of 2021
New Park Hyatt Properties
- Park Hyatt Los Angeles at Oceanwide Plaza (Calif.), 184 guestrooms, 2020
- Park Hyatt Los Angeles Residences at Oceanwide Plaza (Calif.), 164 residences, 2020
New Grand Grand Hyatt Properties
- Grand Hyatt at SFO (San Francisco, Calif.), 351 guestrooms, Summer 2019
New Andaz Properties
- Andaz Palm Springs (Calif.), 150 guestrooms, Fall 2019
New Unbound Collection Properties
- A hotel within The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand, located in Hollywood, Calif., 64 guestrooms, Late 2019
New Destination Hotels
- A hotel within the Destination Hotels brand, located in Oceanside, Calif., 226 guestrooms, Q4 2020
New Hyatt Regency Properties
- Hyatt Regency Portland at the Oregon Convention Center (Ore.), 600 guestrooms, Early 2020
New Thompson Hotels
- Thompson Hollywood (Calif.), 190 guestrooms, Early 2020
New Hyatt Centric Properties
- Hyatt Centric Mountain View (Calif.), 168 guestrooms, Spring 2019
- Hyatt Centric Korea Town Los Angeles (Calif.), 310 guestrooms, Fall 2021
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Sacramento (Calif.), 172 guestrooms, Fall 2020
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland (Ore.), 215 guestrooms, January 2020
New Hyatt House Properties
- Hyatt House San Jose/Cupertino (Calif.) 148 guestrooms, March 2019
- Hyatt House San Jose Airport (Calif.) 165 guestrooms, April 2019
- Hyatt House LAX (Los Angeles, Calif.), 129 guestrooms, February 2020
- Hyatt House Davis (Calif.) 118 guestrooms, July 2020
- Hyatt House Los Angeles USC Medical Campus (Calif.), 200 guestrooms, August 2020
- Hyatt House Sacramento Airport – North Natomas (Calif.), 92 guestrooms, November 2020
- Hyatt House Pomona (Calif.), 100 guestrooms, November 2020
- Hyatt House Livermore (Calif.), 130 guestrooms, March 2021
- Hyatt House Seatac Airport (Seattle, Wash.), 139 guestrooms, April 2021
New Hyatt Place Properties
- Hyatt Place San Jose Airport (Calif.) 190 guestrooms, March 2019
- Hyatt Place Santa Barbara (Calif.), 88 guestrooms, April 2019
- Hyatt Place Fresno, California (Calif.), 126 guestrooms, April 2019
- Hyatt Place Vacaville California (Calif.), 136 guestrooms, July 2019
- Hyatt Place Bakersfield (Calif.), 120 guestrooms, September 2019
- Hyatt Place LAX (Los Angeles, Calif.), 272 guestrooms, February 2020
- Hyatt Place Sacramento Airport – North Natomas (Calif.), 109 guestrooms, November 2020
- Hyatt Place Pomona (Calif.), 115 guestrooms, November 2020
- Hyatt Place Sunnyvale (Calif.), 90 guestrooms, January 2021
- Hyatt Place Hayward (Calif.), 119 guestrooms, January 2021
- Hyatt Place Paso Robles (Calif.), 131 guestrooms, February 2021
- Hyatt Place Livermore (Calif.), 90 guestrooms, March 2021
- Hyatt Place San Carlos (Calif.), 103 guestrooms, March 2021
- Hyatt Place SeaTac Airport (Seattle, Wash.), 237 guestrooms, April 2021
- Hyatt Place Vancouver Washington (Wash.), 113 guestrooms, September 2020
- Hyatt Place Portland – Pearl District (Ore.), 176 guestrooms, November 2020
New Joie de Vivre Properties
- A hotel within the Joie de Vivre brand, located in Oceanside, Calif., 161 guestrooms, Q4 2020
- El Capitan, a Joie de Vivre Hotel (Merced, Calif.), 114 guestrooms, Q1 2020
New tommie Properties
- tommie Hollywood (Calif.), 212 guestrooms, Q1 2020
A an Angeleno I’m clearly biased so I’m delighted to see Hyatt’s West Coast presence expanding as significantly as it its.
To get a Park Hyatt Downtown, two new properties in Hollywood, and properties in our local playgrounds of Santa Barbara and Palm Springs is fantastic news.
On top of this we’re getting an on-airport Grand Hyatt at SFO and a property in the heart of Silicon Valley too so things are looking very positive for Hyatt’s West Coast loyalists.
If some of these properties are as good as I expect them to be I expect to be putting my Chase Ultimate rewards balance towards a lot more staycations in the near future 🙂
Featured Image: Park Hyatt Los Angeles courtesy of Hyatt