Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
IHG One Rewards is targeting select members for its latest fast track to top-tier elite status promotion which is running through 24 March 2024. The promotion requires targeted members to stay just 8 nights at any of IHG’s properties around the world before the promotion’s end date, and that will then earn them top-tier Diamond elite status.
Unsurprisingly, I have been targeted for this promotion (I think IHG knows that I’m not really a big fan), but these are the key terms that targeted individuals are seeing when they register (here).
- To participate in the “8 Nights to Diamond Elite” promotional offer (the “Offer”), an individual must be an IHG One Rewards member and must be invited to participate in the Offer.
- After receiving an invitation, the member must register their member number in advance in order to be eligible for the Offer.
- The promotion period begins on 8 February 2024, and ends on 24 March 2024 (the “Promotion Period”).
- Once a member registers for the Offer, the member will be able to earn IHG One Rewards Diamond Elite status, and start enjoying the associated benefits, by staying just eight (8) qualifying nights at participating IHG® Hotels & Resorts during the Promotion Period.
- To be a qualifying night under this Offer, the room night must be part of a Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay and must fall within the Promotion Period.
- Completed stays prior to registration or outside of the Promotion Period are not included. By way of example, a member who registers for the Offer on 9 February 2024, and has a Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay at a participating hotel with a check-in date of 6 February 2024, and a check-out date of 11 February 2024, will be credited with three (3) qualifying nights, for the 8th, 9th and 10th February. The member will not receive credit for 6th February or 7th February because those nights were prior to the Promotion Period.
- For purposes of this Offer, a “Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay” is defined as a minimum one (1) night stay at a participating hotel booked under a Qualifying Rate, with a total spend exceeding $30 USD (or local equivalent) per night.
- Participating hotels include all IHG® Hotels & Resorts, with the exception of those Six Senses® Hotels Resorts Spas and Iberostar Beachfront Resorts that do not participate in the IHG One Rewards programme.
- Stays booked using Reward Nights or Points & Cash are not Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stays for purposes of this Offer.
- Bookings made through online travel agencies or other reservation sites such as booking.com or expedia.com also do not qualify under this Offer.
- If more than one member who registered for the Offer checks into the same room, only one member is eligible to earn status under this Offer for those nights that qualify.
- If a member books more than one room on the same night, the member will only receive credit towards this Offer for only one of the rooms that also meets the requirements of an Offer-Qualifying Room Night.
- Diamond Elite status awarded under this Offer will be reflected in the member’s IHG One Rewards account following completion of the number of qualifying nights required to achieve such status, as described in these terms and conditions.
- Once a member receives a Diamond Elite status upgrade through this Offer, the member may keep such status through the end of 2024.
- Any Elite status at any level for the 2025 calendar year and beyond must be earned by the member in accordance with the IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions or, if applicable, pursuant to a special promotion offering the member an opportunity to attain such status for the time period prescribed.
- The time needed for awarding status can vary with each promotion, so please allow up to 6 weeks for the status to be reflected in the recipient’s member account.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page if you have been targeted.
The two key terms to note are the one that says that only nights consumed between 8 February and 24 March 2024 will count towards the promotion and the one that says that award nights will not count for the purposes of this promotion.
If you have been targeted and plan to go for this promotion, don’t fall foul of those two terms.
Also, make sure that you note that the top-tier elite status on offer is only going to run to the end of this year, so anyone wishing to renew that status for 2025 will have to earn it the traditional way.
Overall, this could be a remarkably easy and economical path for anyone aspiring to IHG’s top level of elite status, and if you plan stay with IHG more than one or twice this year after you would trigger the status boost, this could be a promotion that’s worth pursuing.
Keep in mind, however, that Diamond Elite status on its own doesn’t give a member the best benefits of the IHG One Rewards program.
These are the key benefits that anyone earning Diamond Elite status through this promotion can expect to enjoy:
- Earn 100% bonus points on all stays.
- Qualify for reward night discounts.
- Dedicated support line.
- Complimentary upgrades subject to availability.
- Welcome amenity at check-in (daily breakfast for two, points, or a drink/snack).
- Early check-in (subject to availability).
- Late check-out to 2pm (subject to availability).
As you can see, they’re not particularly exciting, and that’s because IHG’s best elite benefits are offered via its Milestone Rewards (see here) which can only be earned through earned elite night credits (members start earning at the 20 elite night marker).
This IHG Diamond Elite status promotion does not offer a fast track to earning these rewards and so won’t be enjoying benefits like confirmable upgrades or an annual lounge membership.
In short, before you decide to make any kind of extra effort to go for this promotion, make sure you understand what you will be earning.
IHG has brought out a new (but targeted) promotion which allows select members of its One Rewards program to earn Diamond Elite status through the end of 2024 by staying just 8 nights at IHG properties by 24 March 2024.
If you plan to stay a good number of nights with IHG after you trigger Diamond Elite status, this promotion will probably be worth pursuing, but because most of the best IHG elite benefits are offered via the Milestone Rewards and not simply through elite status, this promotion isn’t as valuable as it may at first seem.