Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Following on from the nice offers for spending with Hyatt, IHG and Small Luxury Hotels of the world that went live yesterday, Amex has now released a new offer for spending made with Marriott in select regions. On the face of things, the potential saving of up to 40% looks very generous, but the restrictions buried in the terms and conditions make this a noticeably less generous offer than it could have been.
Spend $250 and get $100 back with Marriott & Amex
Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $250 USD in one or more purchases on room rate and room charges at participating Marriott Bonvoy® properties in the U.S. and U.S. territories, the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico from 10/3/2023 to 12/15/2023.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only on room rate and room charges at participating Marriott Bonvoy® properties in the U.S. and U.S. territories, the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico.
- Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Bonvoy® App or by calling 1-888-236-2427
- Excludes The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection®, W Hotels®, JW Marriott®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Design Hotels™, Protea Hotels by Marriott®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Homes & Villas by Marriott Bonvoy®, and Vistana™.
- Excludes gift card purchases.
- Not valid for online retail purchases, hotel amenities, or purchases of Marriott Bonvoy® points.
- Qualifying purchase means a purchase at a participating Marriott Bonvoy® property made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totaling at least $250 USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 12/15/2023, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
After seeing the hotel offers that went live yesterday, I had big hopes for this offer when I saw it sitting in my online Amex account a few moments ago.
A $100 saving on just $250 of spending seemed incredibly generous, and if this offer turned out to be in line with two of yesterday’s offers (where the Hyatt and SLH offers covered most of the globe), this would be one of the best Amex Marriott offers that we’ve ever seen.
Sadly, Amex’s generosity doesn’t stretch that far.
Not only is this offer only valid in North America, the US Territories, the Caribbean, and Mexico, but it’s also limited to a subset of Marriott’s brands.
Excluded from this offer are Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, Luxury Collection, W, JW Marriott, Design Hotels and Protea Hotels properties as well as Marriott Executive Apartments, Marriott Vacation Club, Homes & Villas properties, and Vistana properties.
Essentially, that excludes all the “luxury” brands and some of the “premium” brands and leaves us with the lower-end “select” brands and “long stay” brands alongside properties under the Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, Renaissance, Autograph and Tribute Collections brands.
Sure, it could have been worse, and yes, an offer like this is much better than no offer at all, but did Amex really have to make the offer so restrictive?
I guess there’s always a chance that we’ll see a second offer appear that covers all the more upscale Marriott brands, but that may be hoping for a little too much 🙂
As with the previous offers we have been seeing, I’ve had the new Amex Marriott offer targeted to all of my consumer Membership Rewards cards as well as to my Marriott co-branded card, so quite a few people should see this when they open up their online accounts.
If you have this offer targeted to the card_name or the card_name, you’ll be able to earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points/dollar (terms apply) alongside the $100 saving. If you have it targeted to the American Express® Green Card, you’ll be able to earn 3 Membership Rewards points/dollar alongside the saving (terms apply). All other Amex consumer cards will offer inferior returns.
Note: All information about the American Express® Green Card has been collected independently by Traveling For Miles. The American Express® Green Card is not currently available through Traveling For Miles.
Keep in mind
If you have an upcoming Marriott stay that qualifies for this offer, don’t forget that that Chase has also published a targeted Marriott offer that you may be able to stack with this one.
This is the offer that I can see on my targeted Chase card:
Earn 10% back on your Marriott Bonvoy stay when you spend a minimum of $100, with a $50.00 back maximum.
This offer isn’t restricted to certain brands but must be used by 31 October 2023 (more here) so if you will be completing a stay before the end of this month and will be paying at least $350, you should try to split your bill (at checkout) between your targeted Amex card and you targeted Chase card.
Amex has published a new targeted offer for a $100 saving on $250 of spending at select Marriott brands located in North America, the US Territories, Mexico and the Caribbean. The offer runs through to the middle of December and should be stackable with the targeted Chase offer that ends at the end of this month.