Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Lyft has been offering car rentals for some time but it was only last year that it partnered with SIXT to expand its offering. I’ve never used the Lyft app to book a rental car, but that might change now that Lyft is offering its Lyft Pink members free upgrades with SIXT.
Lyft Pink is a membership program that, for a monthly fee of $19.99 (assuming you don’t have the right credit card), offers customers the following perks:
- 15% off unlimited car rides – Save on every car ride you take, any time, anywhere.
- Priority airport pickups – Get picked up faster at the airport when it’s busy.
- Free cancellations – Lyft covers three cancel fees per month if you rebook within 15 minutes.
- Surprise offers – Members get seasonal discounts and exclusive savings.
- Waived lost and found fees – Lyft takes care of any return fees every time.
- Free bikes and scooter rides – Lyft Pink members can enjoy 3 free 30-minute bike or scooter rides per month (in select markets).
- Upgrades with SIXT (NEW!)
$19.99 per month for a Lyft Pink membership may be a little steep for anyone who doesn’t use the ridesharing service particularly often, but for others, this may be useful.
SIXT Upgrades With Lyft Pink
All Lyft users get a number of “exclusive perks” when booking a rental with SIXT (through Lyft) and all Lift Pink members get free upgrades.
These are the perks all Lyft users get when booking a rental with SIXT (through Lyft):
- The ability to select your car’s exact make and model prior to pickup.
- Access to the faster priority line for counter service in regions where it’s available.
- A $10 Lyft credit after you pick up your car (valid for one year from reservation pickup date).
Lyft Pink members renting through SIXT can choose their upgrade 30 minutes before their scheduled pickup time in the Lyft app or via their desktop. No special booking code is needed, the Lyft app/rental website will automatically offer Lyft Pink members a complimentary upgrade where appropriate.
Full details of Lyft’s rental program and partnership with SIX (including FAQs) can be found on this webpage.
Three Things To Keep In Mind
1 – Before booking a SIXT rental through Lyft, make sure you price up the cost of the same rental booking directly with SIXT. It’s possible that SIXT may be offering a better deal than the one available through the Lyft app and the price difference may be worth more to you than the benefits of booking the rental through Lyft.
2 – Lyft’s rental program and SIXT are two separate entities (this is a partnership and not a single business trading under two names) so if you book a car rental with SIXT it will be SIXT that charges your credit card and not Lyft bear this in mind if you have an Amex offer for bookings made with SIXT.
3 – Although various Chase credit cards offer bonus points for spending with Lyft, the bonus points are only awarded on ridesharing payments and not on car rentals. Even if you book a rental with Lyft and not SIXT, your Chase credit card will only earn the number of points/cash back that it regularly offers for travel spending.
Members of the Lyft Pink program can now get complimentary upgrades on car rentals made with SIXT and booked through Lyft.