Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express is back with another set of offers targeted at cardholders who have yet to sign up for its Pay Over Time option. As far as I can tell there are at least two different offers in the wild (one for 10,000 and one for 20,000 points) and as even I’ve been targeted for an offer this time around, it looks as if the targeting may be quite broad.
My Platinum Card account is showing an offer of 10,000 points for signing up to Amex’s Pay Over Time option (the offer first appeared as a pop-up and is now appearing among my Amex Offers)…
…but there are reports over at Doctor of Credit that suggest that a less common 20,000 point offer is also doing the rounds.
Note: I did not receive an email from American Express to let me know that I had been targeted – the offer just appeared in my account.
Holders of the following cards are eligible to be targeted (if not already enrolled):
- Platinum Card
- Amex Gold Card (review)
- Amex Green Card
- Business Platinum Card
- American Express Business Gold Card
- Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
The Key Details
These are the details from the offer in my account.
- Only one offer per Card account is permitted, and points will be credited to your program account within 8‑12 weeks after you activate Pay Over Time.
- Maximum 10,000 points per account.
- Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply.
- You must activate Pay Over Time by 04/03/2021 to be eligible for this offer.
- Different activation offers may be available through different channels such as phone.
- The activation bonus included with this offer may not be available if you activate Pay Over Time through a different channel.
- If your setting is set to active at 8:00 pm ET, then eligible charges of $100.00 or more on that calendar day will be automatically added to your Pay Over Time balance. If you change your setting after 8:00 pm ET, your new setting will be effective starting the next calendar day.
- If you’re carrying a Pay Over Time balance from your last billing period, you’ll be charged interest from the transaction date.
- If you pay your Account Total New Balance in full by the Payment Due Date each month, you will not be charged interest on charges that are automatically added to your Pay Over Time balance.
- When you activate Pay Over Time, your Pay Over Time Limit may be reassessed and could increase or decrease, but it will not be less than $1,000.
Make sure you take note of the fact that the terms and conditions say that different offers are available through different channels – if you’ve been targeted for the 10,000 point offer it may be worth a call to Amex to see if there’s a better offer available by phone (you don’t have anything to lose).
American Express is now targeting select cardholders for between 10,000 and 20,000 points for signing up to its Pay Over Time program (you don’t actually have to use the Pay Over Time Option, you just have to sign up for it). As I value Membership Rewards Points at 1.5 cents each, this effectively represents an offer of between $150 and $300 for very little effort so, If you’ve been targeted, this is your lucky day.