Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
We may have already seen a points sale and an award promotion from Radisson in 2021 but we’ve been waiting to see what the hotelier’s first big worldwide promotion of the year will look like. Over the weekend, we got our answer.
Double The Points, Double The Rewards
Radisson’s first big promotion of 2021 couldn’t be any simpler: All Radisson Rewards members will earn double points for all eligible stays made during the promotion period up to a cap of 100,000 bonus points.
- To be eligible for the Promotion, you must:
- The Promotion is available at all Radisson Collection, Radisson Blu, Radisson, Radisson RED, Park Plaza, Park Inn by Radisson, and Country Inn & Suites by Radisson hotels worldwide.
- Double points apply to standard/base points only.
- During the Promotion, an Eligible Member will earn 20 Bonus Points issued per U.S. Dollar spent.
- The Bonus Point earnings are in addition to the standard/base earnings of 20 points issued per U.S. Dollar spent and their Tier Bonus (Silver, additional 2 points per U.S. Dollar spent; Gold, additional 5 points per U.S. Dollar spent; Platinum, additional 15 points per U.S. Dollar spent).
- Eligible Members will earn Bonus Points for each Eligible Stay completed at Participating Properties during the Promotion Period, not to exceed 100,000 total Bonus Points.
- Bonus Points will be credited to the Member’s account throughout the Promotion Period when the standard points are credited, usually within 5-10 business days after the Eligible Stay has been consumed.
- Eligible Stays reserved prior to the Promotion Period are eligible for this Promotion but must be consumed (arrival and departure) during the Promotion Period to be eligible and must have been booked via an eligible booking source with an eligible rate.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page.
I value Radisson Rewards points at 0.3 cents each so, effectively, this promotion is offering a maximum rebate of $300.
Another way of looking at this promotion is to say that Radisson usually offers an effective rebate of 6% (20 points/dollar) to all Radisson Rewards members (this does not include any elite bonuses) and this promotion sees the effective rebate doubled to 12% (40 points/dollar) for the first $5,000 of spending made with Radisson during the promotion period.
Accounting for elite bonuses, this is what the effective rebates look like for the first $5,000 of spending:
- Silver Members – 12.6% (42 points/dollar)
- Gold Members – 13.5% (45 points/dollar)
- Platinum Members – 16.5% (55 points/dollar)
Note: Members using a Radisson Rewards co-branded credit card will earn additional points if they use their card to pay for their stay(s).
In a word, this is underwhelming. This feels a little like a Marriott promotion where the hotelier doesn’t really want to run a promotion but feels like it should because that’s what everyone else is doing.
We’re living through a time where hotel occupancy rates are incredibly low (and have been so for almost a year) so it’s a little strange to see a hotelier come out with such a boring and unenticing deal. Admittedly Marriott’s latest promotion isn’t going to get too many people excited and Hilton’s latest offering isn’t as good as some of the other promotions we’ve seen it publish, but both are still noticeably better and more likely to engage travelers than this Radisson promotion…and that should tell you pretty much all you need to know.
Double points is certainly better than nothing, but an effective rebate of between 12% and 16.5% is unlikely to drive more bookings to Radisson so I can only assume the hotelier isn’t particularly interested in getting people traveling right now.
Radisson is offering a bonus of 20 points/dollar on up to $5,000 of spending for stays completed between 1 February and 30 April 2021. There isn’t much to get excited about here but you may as well register for this promotion so that you don’t accidentally miss out on easy points if you happen to make a few Radisson stays during the promotion period.