Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has published a new targeted offer that’s offering a saving on stays and room charges made at some of Marriott’s higher-end brands. This latest offer is valid through the end of the year and could save you up to 20% on your next Marriott stay.
Spend $500 and get $100 back at Marriott
Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $500 USD in one or more transactions on room rate and room charges at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, & JW Marriott from 9/23/2022 to 12/31/2022.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only on room rate and room charges at the following Marriott Bonvoy participating hotels in the U.S. and U.S. Territories, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean:
- The Ritz-Carlton
- St. Regis
- The Luxury Collection
- W Hotels
- JW Marriott
- Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Bonvoy® App or by calling 1-888-236-2427.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Excludes gift card purchases.
- Not valid for online retail purchases, hotel amenities, or purchases of Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Qualifying purchase means a purchase at a participating Marriott International luxury brand made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totaling at least $500 USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Card Member Agreement.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 12/31/2022, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
If you’re considering booking an eligible stay before the end of the year this is a nice offer to be targeted for. A $100 discount on $500 of spending is a solid 20% rebate and although a lot of people will no doubt exceed that spending target by some distance, someone taking the time to research prices should be able to get close to that level of rebate.
Before you book make sure you’ve read through all the terms and conditions carefully as there are a few things that could trip people up:
- Bookings at properties outside North America, the US Territories, and the Caribbean will not trigger this rebate.
- There is some ambiguity around the $500 spending requirement as while the headline details suggest that the spend can be cumulative, the wording of the detailed terms appears to suggest that the target has to be reached in a single transaction. I suggest not taking any risks and assuming that a single transaction of $500 or more will be required here.
- The Amex card to which you load this offer must be charged $500 by 31 December 2022 for this offer to be triggered.
As far as the Amex credit cards go, hopefully, you’ve had this offer targeted to a Marriott Bonvoy co-branded credit card like the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (newly refreshed) which will earn you 6 Bonvoy Points/dollar spent at whichever Marriott property you book (terms apply), but as I’m not seeing this offer on my Amex Marriott card so this may not be an option.
If you haven’t been targeted for this offer on a Bonvoy co-branded credit card, another great option would be the American Express® Green Card which will return 3 Membership Rewards Points/dollar on all travel spending (terms apply) and depending on how you value Membership Rewards Points and Bonvoy Points, it may even offer you the better return.
Note: All information about the American Express® Green Card has been collected independently by Traveling For Miles. The American Express® Green Card is not currently available through Traveling For Miles.
American Express is currently targeting cardholders for $100 of savings when they spend a minimum of $500 at select Marriott properties in North America and the Caribbean by the end of the year. Despite this offer being limited to just 6 Marriott bands, there are still a lot of properties from which to choose so anyone considering a “luxury” stay with Marriott in the next few months should find this offer easy to use.