Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Alaska Airlines seems to be working hard to shake of the latest bit of Boeing-induced drama by offering two promotions to tempt flyers back into the skies in February.
The first promotion is offering up to 30% off select bookings made by tomorrow while the second, is offering double or triple elite qualifying miles on all February flights.
Promo #1 – 30% off flights
The headline information is this:
Use promo code THANKYOU30 by 23:59 PT on 31 January 2024 to get up to 30% off flights that are marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines.
The key terms and conditions are as follows:
- Book by 23:59 PT on 31 January 2024.
- Travel between 8 February and 13 March 2024.
- The discount of up to 30% only applies to travel on select days of the week which vary by route:
- Travel to Hawaii, Florida, Latin America, and The Bahamas is valid Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
- Travel from Hawaii, Florida, Latin America, and The Bahamas is valid Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- Travel to/from all other Alaska Airlines operated flights (except Prudhoe Bay, Alaska) is valid on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
- Travel on days other than the one listed above will see the discount capped at 10%.
- For the 30% off offer, blackout dates for travel to and from the state of Alaska are 16 – 24 February and 6 – 13 March 2024. Blackout dates for travel to and from for all other markets are 16 – 24 February 2024.
Full terms and conditions can be found here.
Promo #2 – Earn 2x or 3x Elite Qualifying Miles
This promo is simple, but it has a couple of terms that shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Mileage Plan members booking regular fares will earn double Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) on eligible flights taken between 1 and 29 February 2024.
- Mileage Plan members booking corporate fares will earn triple Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) on eligible flights taken between 1 and 29 February 2024.
No registration is required (the double or triple EQM will credit automatically), but the following two terms stand out:
- Saver fares are excluded.
- Flights must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines or on behalf of Alaska Airlines by Horizon or SkyWest.
So, basic economy bookings won’t earn double or triple EQM and neither will partner bookings made through Alaska Airlines.
Clearly, this is all about getting people flying with Alaska Airlines right now and getting those with corporate contracts back onboard as well, hence the exclusion of partner flights and the fact that these promos are (mostly) limited to February.
Still, none of that means that these deals aren’t good, and as long as you’re happy that your Boeing aircraft will land with the same number of holes in its fuselage as when it took off, there’s potential for you to do well here.
The 30% discount may be restricted to certain days of the week (we’ve seen Alaska use these types of deal before), but that’s still a very good discount to be offered, and the best EQM multiplier may be reserved for corporate fares, but double EQM for a whole month is still going to be a big boost for a lot of status-chasing regular flyers … especially as the EQM promotion doesn’t appear to be restricted to new bookings.
The last thing to note is that there are reports (on Flyertalk) of Mileage Plan members being sent details of an offer that gives them up to 40% off when using the THANKYOU30 promotion, so (a) check your emails to see if you got sent the same and (b) make sure you’re logged in to your Mileage Plan account when checking prices with the promo code as your account may have been targeted for a better deal than you realise.
Following the debacle with a Boeing 737 MAX 9 earlier this month, Alaska Airlines is in recovery mode and doing its best to coax flyers back on board. It’s doing so with a promotion offering up to 30% off select flights (up to 40% off for some) taken through the middle of March and a promotion offering double or triple Elite Qualifying miles on flights taken in February.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines