Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express is currently targeting select cardholders for one of the better Delta offers that I’ve seen in some time. The effective rebate that’s available isn’t particularly impressive, but the offer itself is easy to use and as you’ll see below, the offer doesn’t require you to make a Delta flight booking anytime soon.
Earn 3,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend $300 on Delta gift cards
Get 3,000 additional Membership Rewards® points one-time by using your enrolled eligible Card to make a single purchase of $300 or more on Delta gift cards online only at delta.com/giftcards/amex by 11/23/2023.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards that are enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of purchase are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer valid online only at US website delta.com/giftcards/amex for e-gift and physical gift card purchases.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Additional points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 90 days after 11/23/2023, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
- Limit of 3,000 additional Membership Rewards points per Card Member.
- Any additional points you receive through this offer are in addition to the points you would normally receive for purchases charged to your Card, but the number of additional points you receive will be based on the purchase price after any credit or other discount is applied.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
Delta gift card rules
- Gift Cards may be redeemed for any flight worldwide at delta.com or by calling 1-800-225-1366.
- Gift Cards may be redeemed toward Delta Vacations® packages that include airfare by visiting delta.com/vacations or by calling 800-800-1504.
- eGifts and Cards may only be redeemed toward the total purchase price of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation (excluding any cash portion of an Award or Miles + Cash Ticket). They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, Delta Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
- Gift Cards cannot be used to pay for any cash portion of an Award or Miles + Cash Ticket.
I love this offer.
Delta gift cards do not expire, so unlike most ‘regular’ Amex airline offers, you can lock in these bonus points without having to take a flight within the offer period or even within the next twelve months.
Even infrequent flyers (for whom Delta is often the most convenient airline) can make the most of this offer knowing that regardless of when they think their next trip will be, any gift cards purchased will be ready and waiting to be used whenever the time comes to make a booking with Delta*.
Personally, I value Membership Rewards points at 1.5 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them with little effort) so for me, this offer represents an effective added rebate of $45 on my next Delta booking of $300 or more (or an extra 15% off on bookings of under $300).
Be aware that there may be a parallel offer available where targeted cardholders can choose to receive $30 cash back when spending $300 on Delta gift cards, but as that’s not an offer that I can see on any of my Amex cards I can’t be sure if it exists.
Lastly, keep in mind that if you have this offer targeted to card_name (as I do), and if a purchase of Delta gift cards is processed by Amex as a purchase from Delta and not an intermediary, you would earn the 5 points/dollar that your card offers on up to $500,000 of spending made directly with airlines or flights booked through Amex Travel (1 point/dollar thereafter – terms apply).
Your total earnings from buying $300 of Delta gift cards would therefore be 4,500 Membership Rewards points which I would view as an effective rebate of $67.50.
Note: I have never purchased Delta gift cards with card_name so I cannot confirm how Amex will treat such a purchase (if you know, please leave a note in the comments and I’ll update this article).
*Clearly, however, if you don’t think you’ll be flying with Delta in the foreseeable future (e.g. the next couple of years), you probably shouldn’t be locking away $300 just to earn some Amex points.
American Express is targeting select cardholders for an offer which will earn them 3,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when they purchase at least $300 of Delta gift cards.
The offer doesn’t expire until 23 November 2023 so there’s no immediate hurry to make an eligible transaction, but you should probably add the offer to your preferred targeted American Express card before you forget all about it.