Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
I don’t know whether it’s because Marriott has noticed that our collective experiences of the past 15 months have pushed more travelers to consider booking more private accommodations, or if Marriott is just trying to bring more attention to its Homes & Villas program but for some reason, there have been considerably more Homes & Villas promotions this year than I ever recall seeing…and that’s a very good thing.
Right now, there’s a targeted but widely available Amex offer which gives cardholders a $200 statement credit on Marriott Homes & Villas bookings which should stack very nicely with a Marriott promotion that’s offering guests 21,000 bonus Bonvoy Points for Homes & Villas bookings consumed in the next couple of months. If you’ve been looking at alternatives to a hotel booking these deals may make a Marriott Homes & Villas stay a little more attractive.
The Amex Offer
Get a one-time $200 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $1,000 USD in one or more transactions online at Homes & Villas by Marriott between 7/16/2021 and 9/24/2021.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid at all Homes & Villas by Marriott International properties.
- Reservations for Homes & Villas by Marriott International properties must be made online at com.
- Not valid on gift card purchases.
- Cancellation fees apply and may vary by property. See individual properties for details.
- Qualifying purchase means a purchase at a Homes & Villas by Marriott International property made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totaling at least $1,000 USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Card Member Agreement.
- Offer valid on property rate and charges incurred at time of reservation.
- Offer not valid for stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date (for example, if the final payment that occurs 30 days before your stay falls outside of the promotion dates, it will not count towards qualification).
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 9/24/2021, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
The Marriott Promotion
Marriott Bonvoy members can earn 21,000 Bonus Points on Homes & Villas bookings consumed by 30 September 2021.
- Booking by 23:59 EDT on 27 September 2021 (11:59PM EDT)
- Stay by 30 September 2021
- The minimum stay requirement is 3 consecutive nights
- The minimum spend requirement is $2,100.00 USD, including taxes and fees.
- Stays that are redeemed and paid for using Marriott Bonvoy Points will not qualify for this promotion.
- A “stay” is defined as 3 consecutive nights or more spent at the same property.
- Registration is not required for this promotion. Marriott Bonvoy members will earn 21,000 bonus Points per stay when they book a stay at a home rental through the Homes & Villas by Marriott International website from 12 July through 27 September 2021, with check-out on or before 30 September 2021.
- To ensure Points are posted to the correct Membership Account, the Marriott Bonvoy Membership Number included at time of purchase on the HVMI Platform must be correct.
- Members will earn five (5) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, on all Qualifying Charges incurred and paid for by the Member through the HVMI Platform. The bonus Points award of 21,000 points is additional to Members’ base Points earned per stay and any Elite bonus Points earned per stay.
- Members will not earn Points on non-qualifying charges which include, but are not limited to, booking fees, taxes, cleaning fees and extra add-ons during stay.
- After the stay is completed, Elite bonus Points are awarded on the base Points earned on Qualifying Charges and according to the Member’s achieved Elite Member tier.
- Provided that the correct Marriott Bonvoy Membership Account Number is added as part of the booking process, Points will automatically appear in the Member’s Account three (3) to six (6) weeks (21 – 42 days) following the completion of their stay.
- Participating Marriott Brand Residences may be featured on the HVMI Platform, however they do not participate in the Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program and do not participate in this promotion
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Homes & Villas by Marriott International website.
From what I can see, the Amex offer seems to be widely targeted as it’s appearing on all my Membership Rewards cards (including business cards) as well as on my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express Card (review) so a lot of cardholders should be able to save the $200 that Amex is offering.
The bonus points that Marriott is offering aren’t part of a targeted deal and there’s no requirement for a guest to register before they can earn the bonus points so anyone meeting the promotion’s terms and conditions (minimum spend, minimum stay, etc..) and consuming a Homes & Villas stay by 30 September should find themselves 21,000 points richer – things couldn’t be simpler.
Clearly, Homes & Villas stays will vary widely in cost depending on, among other things, the nature of the home/villa that’s being rented, the location of the rental, and on the number of nights being consumed so the savings and points on offer will be different for just about everyone. However, to give you an idea of what these promotions can offer here’s what a Bonvoy member can earn on an example stay:
- Stay: 3 nights
- Cost $2,500
- The stay is paid for using a Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express Card
- The guest has Marriott Bonvoy Gold status (the Bonvoy status given to holders of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express Card)
- Homes & Villas earnings at 5 points/dollar – 12,500 Bonvoy Points
- Marriott Gold Elite bonus points at 25% – 3,125 Bonvoy Points
- Marriott Homes & Villas promotion – 21,000 Bonvoy Points
- Marriott Bonvoy credit card earnings at 6 points/dollar – 15,000 Bonvoy Points
Total points earnings = 51,625 Bonvoy Points
51,625 Bonvoy Points is enough for a free night at a wide variety of very nice Marriott properties around the world or, looking at the points in a different way, they represent an effective rebate of $310 (based on my valuation of Bonvoy Points – 0.6 cents each).
When you also factor in the $200 Amex rebate that this hypothetical stay would trigger, the total savings on offer would be worth over $500 and that’s 25% of the total cost of the stay.
As I’ve already said, this is just showing an example of what’s possible so I’m not trying to suggest that everyone can stack these two offers and earn a 25% rebate on their next Homes & Villas stay. It’s important to note, however, that the example I used doesn’t make any outlandish assumptions so everyone booking a qualifying Homes & Villas stay should be able to do well out of these offers.
Marriott and Amex are both currently running offers/promotions on Homes & Villas stays consumed between now and the end of September so if you’re considering staying somewhere other than at a hotel or resort on your upcoming vacation, it may be worth taking a look at Marriott’s Homes & Villas site to see if anything catches your eye.