Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has launched a new deal in which it’s offering targeted cardholders a rebate of up to 18% on spending made with Air New Zealand in the next couple of months.
Spend $1,250 and get $225 back with Air New Zealand
Get a one-time $225 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $1,250 in one or more purchases online at airnewzealand.com or via Air NZ US app by 3/16/2024. Flight must originate in US and be charged in USD to qualify..
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid for purchases made directly with Air New Zealand through US website airnewzealand.com, the Air NZ US mobile app, or by phone at 1-800-262-1234.
- Flights must originate in US to qualify.
- Not valid for payments made in-person at Air New Zealand ticket offices or airport locations.
- Not valid for payments made through third parties such as travel agents, online aggregators or payment processors.
- Excludes Air New Zealand Cargo, Air New Zealand Explorer Pass, Koru membership, Koru guest passes, Tandem Travel, JR Duty Free and bookings of Events, Tours, Activities, Hotels, Car, Campervan rentals, or airport transfers.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 3/16/2024, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions
This looks like it may be one of the more narrowly targeted offers that we see Amex put out as the only one of my cards that has been targeted is card_name which, fortunately, is the one card that I’d want it targeted to thanks to its strong earning rates on select airline spending.
None of my other Membership Rewards cards have been targeted and the offer isn’t visible on my Marriott or Hilton cards either.
As far as the offer goes …
This one is slightly better than the last Air New Zealand offer I remember seeing Amex release as this one gives cardholders a slightly higher rebate on $1,250 of spending ($225 vs $200), and cardholders have a little more time to hit the spending target (~8 weeks vs ~6 weeks).
Overall, $1,250 isn’t all that much to spend on air travel (if you’re booking as a family or as a couple, or if you’re booking a premium cabin), and when you add to that the fact that the offer’s spending requirement doesn’t have to be met in a single transaction, this starts to look like a pretty easy rebate to trigger.
That being said, don’t forget that the offer stipulates that for a booking to qualify towards the spending target it has to be made in US dollars and travel has to originate in the US, so this isn’t going to be a particularly useful offer for anyone hoping to book a fare that originates anywhere else.
American Express is currently targeting select cardholders for an offer that allows them to save on spending made with Air New Zealand by 16 March 2024. Cardholders will earn $225 back when they spend $1,250 or more in one or more transactions as long as payment is made in USD and as long as travel originates in the United States.
Have you been targeted for this offer? If you have, what card(s) are you seeing it on?