Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has launched a targeted offer for stays made at two brands that come under the Choice Privileges umbrella, so as Choice Hotels also has a offer running in which a guest can earn 8,000 bonus points (enough for a free stay), the two combined may make it worth considering a booking at a Cambria or Ascend property.
Spend $300 and get $100 back at Cambria & Ascend properties
Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $300 in one or more purchases on room rate and room charges, when you pay for your stay at participating Cambria & Ascend Hotels properties from 10/6/2023 to 12/31/2023.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only at participating Cambria® and Ascend® brand locations in the US; Bluegreen® and Penn National properties are not participating.
- The offer is not valid for any other Choice® brand.
- Reservations must be made online only at US website choicehotels.com or by using the Choice mobile app.
- Excludes points purchases for the Choice Privileges Rewards Program as well as physical gift cards purchased online, e-gift cards, corporate and bulk gift cards.
- Excludes Ascend® casino properties, please reference choicehotels.com/ascend/casino-hotel-locations to view casino properties.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
‘Stay twice, get a free night’ promotion
Currently, Choice Hotels is running a promotion that’s not quite as good as its name may lead you to believe but that may be worth considering anyway if you need to book a stay for the next few weeks.
Essentially, the promotion is quite simple: Stay twice before 6 November 2023 and you’ll be awarded 8,000 Choice Privileges points (link).
That’s enough points for a free night at select properties but certainly not at all Choice properties, and that may be disappointing for anyone who doesn’t read the terms and conditions before they rush to book some stays.
These are the key terms you should be aware of:
- Registration required (here) before checking out from your first qualifying stay.
- The promotion is only available to members of the Choice Privileges® Rewards Program who register for this promotion, and then make two separate qualifying stays at participating hotels (WoodSpring Suites® hotels and Ascend Hotel Collection® all-inclusive resorts, among others, are not participating) with arrival between 9/12/2023 and 11/6/2023.
- A “stay” is any number of consecutive nights at one hotel regardless of check-ins or check-outs.
- A “qualifying stay” is a stay by a registered member during this promotion at a participating hotel booked through a qualifying channel that is eligible to earn Choice Privileges points. Most stays are eligible to earn Choice Privileges points EXCEPT: rooms booked at rates below $40 USD per night, certain hotel-initiated promotion rates, reward night stays, complimentary rooms, rooms paid for as part of a convention or meeting, rooms booked through a third-party online retailer including online travel agencies, wholesale packages, group tours, and stays booked using the employee discount or the friends and family discount.
- Stays at Choice Hotels® properties in the following countries are excluded from this promotion: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia.
- Members must book stays via ChoiceHotels.com, the Choice Hotels mobile app, or 800.4CHOICE.
- Stays directly booked through Book by Google are also eligible, if the member adds their Choice Privileges number to the reservation prior to check-in.
- Corporate travelers may book through their online booking tool, GDS, or with a travel agent; however, reservations booked through Egencia’s Preferred Rate Program do not qualify for promotional bonus points.
- Choice Privileges member number must be provided upon check-in.
- To be eligible to earn bonus points, members must set their earning preference to Choice Privileges points in their online account. Any change made to earning preference will remain in effect after the promotion has ended, unless the member changes it.
- Allow 72 hours from check-out for points to post.
- Points from stays at an extended stay property can take longer to post, please expect delays in point posting.
- Registered members will be awarded a minimum of 5,000 to a maximum of 8,000 bonus points after the second qualifying stay. The number of bonus points awarded depends on the number of base points earned from the two separate qualifying stays, with points varying by hotel. The total of base points plus bonus points awarded, however, will be at least 8,000 points.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page.
While the Amex offer can be seen as quite limiting as it only relates to two of Choice’s brands and only to eligible properties in the United States, it’s hard to argue with the value of the rebate on offer.
Choice properties are not known for being particularly expensive, so a $100 rebate on $300 of spending looks like a pretty good offer.
As far as the Choice promotion goes, I’d like to stress once again that while the 8,000 points that are on offer will get you a free night at over 1,000 Choice hotels around the world, the hotelier’s own terms and conditions admit that “A free night at most Choice locations requires more than 8,000 points”, so don’t expect to be able to book any Choice property in the world with the bonus points from this promotion.
Also, a clear downside here is that you need to have completed two stays by 6 November which only gives you a little over 4 weeks to lock in the bonus, but if you’re traveling for work or need to book a couple of airport hotel stays, that shouldn’t be a huge hurdle to overcome (clearly, no one should be rushing to book two Choice stays that they weren’t already planning to book just to earn 8,000 bonus points).
I have the Amex promotion target to all of my Membership Rewards cards so it doesn’t look like this promotion is being narrowly targeted and I suspect that most people will see it in their online accounts.
Hopefully readers will see this targeted to the American Express® Green Card (which earns earn 3 points/dollar on travel spending – terms apply) or, at worst, the card_name (which earns 2 points/dollar on up to $50,000 of eligible spending every year and 1 point/dollar thereafter – terms apply).
Note: All information about the American Express® Green Card has been collected independently by Traveling For Miles. The American Express® Green Card is not currently available through Traveling For Miles.
Amex has just published an offer for stays at Ascend and Cambria properties which will stack with a current Choice Hotels promotion that’s offering guests 8,000 bonus points.
Neither of these promotions should be seen as good enough to prompt someone to make any bookings that they weren’t already planning to make, but for someone with upcoming travels, both could prove to be useful.