Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures at the bottom of every page.
Update 6 October: This year’s Week of Wonders promotions are now live – see here
It was in October 2020 that Marriott first introduced us to what it called its “Week of Wonders” promotion in which it offers a variety of deals and discounts across a period of 7 days. The promotion returned in October 2021 and as a new landing page is now up and running, it looks like the promotion is back for 2022 as well.
I guess the first thing that I should say is that no one should be getting overly excited about the return of the Week of Wonders because while the word “week” was correctly used in the promotion’s title last year (it ran for 7 days), nothing that was offered in 2020 or 2021 could genuinely be considered “wonderous”.
This year’s Week of Wonders page can be found here but apart from telling us that the deals are coming soon (based on the countdown, on 6 October), it doesn’t give us any idea what to expect.
On the grounds that the Marriott promotions team is among the least inventive teams in the hotel business and has spent the last few years churning out some of the blandest, most boring, and uninspiring promotions around, there’s a very strong chance that we’ll just see a re-run of “deals” seen in 2020 and/or 2021.
So, to give you an idea of what may be on the way, this is what Marriott has offered in the past:
Note: These are the deals from 2020 and 2021 so don’t expect to see this many deals in 2022
- Wonders of Discovery – for one week, Bonvoy members could book reward nights “for up to 33%” less for stays through the end of November.
- Wonders of Escape: 25% Off at More Than 5,000 Hotels Globally
- Wonders of Delight: Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card holders around the globe could register and earn 2,000 points after booking and completing an eligible stay at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy by a specified date in mid or late November. The stay had to include one paid night.
- Wonders of More: Bonvoy members could receive a 50% bonus, and Elite members a 55% bonus on purchases of 2,000 or more points.
- Wonders of Comfort – There have been two versions of this deal. In the first, Marriott offered 30% off all merchandise while in the second, Marriott offered a $50 gift card for every $200 spent at Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques in the U.S.
- Wonders of Luxury: This was a standard Marriott promotion (one that we see all the time) wrapped in a “Week of Wonders” banner – Guests booking a 2+ night stay could receive up to $300 in folio credit to be used on a variety of amenities during their stay at hotels within the EDITION, St. Regis Hotels & Resorts and The Ritz-Carlton portfolios.
- Wonders of Rejuvenation – This wasn’t really a new promotion either as much as it was two old promotions combined and presented as something new – this was Marriott Bonvoy Escapes with Marriott Escape To Luxury in a slightly different guise (hotels and resorts throughout the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and Latin America were offering discounts of up to 25% on the best flexible rate) and the promotions ran for 4 days and 2 days respectively.
- Wonders of Excitement – Another promotion that wasn’t really new. This was a Marriott promotion that was already in progress and which offered Bonvoy members 2,500 points for each stay and a one-time bonus of 5,000 points after three stays.
- Wonders of Possibility: Bonvoy members were presented with “exclusive offers” from airlines including United, Emirates, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Cruise with Points, and rental car companies Hertz® in the U.S., and SIXT, outside the U.S.
- Wonders of Sophistication: Marriott Bonvoy collaborated with luggage retailer Away to offer members 30% off select styles during Week of Wonders.
- Wonders of Unwinding: Enjoy 15% Off at All-Inclusive by Marriott Bonvoy Properties.
- Wonders of the Extraordinary: This was simply the Marriott Moments program wrapped up to look like it was something new.
Marriott Homes & Villas has already announced its promotions for the Week of Wonders (here).
As I said, there was nothing particularly wonderous about either of the Week of Wonders promotions that we’ve seen so far so while there’s always hope, expectations should be tempered.
Marriott will be resurrecting its Week of Wonders promotion that we’ve seen twice before. If we’re lucky, the 2022 promotion may be an improvement on 2020 and 2021 but given Marriott’s track record, I can’t honestly say that I hold out much hope that we’re going to see anything truly exciting revealed.
They say that any promotion is better than no promotion and I guess that’s probably true…but that only just about applies when it comes to Marriott Bonvoy 🙂