Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
While we occasionally see a hotel loyalty program offer bonus points to new members (Marriott Bonvoy leads the way with this) it’s an unusual thing for an airline’s loyalty program to do, but that’s exactly what Alaska’s Mileage Plan program is offering right now.
Join Mileage Plan & Earn Up To 5,000 Bonus Miles
The promotion is remarkably simple:
- Join Alaska Mileage Plan
- Fly with Alaska Airlines
- Earn 2,500 bonus miles on your first roundtrip booking
- Earn a further 2,500 bonus miles on your second roundtrip booking
Naturally, there are some terms and conditions that need to be highlighted:
- New members should sign up on this page
- The promotion is open to new members only
- Enrollment and registration must be done by 5 February 2021.
- Enrollment and registration must take place prior to the first qualifying flight.
- Eligible members will receive 2,500 bonus miles after completing two qualifying flight segments and an additional 2,500 bonus miles for completing two more qualifying flight segments.
- Travel must be complete by 31 May 2021.
- To qualify, flights must be eligible to earn Mileage Plan miles and must be credited to the new Mileage Plan account.
- Travel is valid on Alaska Airlines flight 1-1999, 2000-2999, and 3300-3450. Codeshare flights and flights with partner airlines do not qualify.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page.
It’s worth noting that while the headline details that Alaska Airlines has put out suggest that the first 2,500 miles will be earned on the first roundtrip and the second 2,500 miles will be earned after the second roundtrip, the terms and conditions would appear to indicate that the bonus points will be earned after flying two qualifying segments and then a further 2 qualifying segments. It doesn’t look like roundtrip bookings are required – four one-way bookings should also trigger the full bonus.
I value Alaska Miles at approximately 1.75 cents each so that values the total bonus at $87.50 and when you consider the fact that there’s no minimum flight length requirement in this promotion and that even basic Economy bookings will qualify for this promotion, that’s not a bad bonus to be offered.
An effective rebate of $43.75 on a Basic Economy roundtrip booking could easily cover half of the fare paid. Sure, this isn’t exactly the promotion of the year but it’s also a pretty nice introduction to Mileage Plan for anyone who isn’t already a member.
If you’re not a member of Alaska’s Mileage Plan program (you should be because the airline’s mileage sales can be very useful), the airline is currently offering you the chance to earn 5,000 bonus miles for flying 4 qualifying segments by 31 May 2021. If you’re based on the West Coast, are not a Mileage Plan member, and have the need to fly within the region in the next few months, this is a promotion you should probably consider.