Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
October 1st will be the first day of the last quarter of the year and that means that as well as the Freedom quarterly bonus categories going live, we’ll see a new set of spending bonuses launched for holders of various Chase co-branded credit cards.
New Chase spending bonuses
As things stand, only one of my many Chase credit cards has been targeted for a 4Q spending bonus, but with a little under two days left to go before we enter the final quarter of the year, there’s still time for that to change.
This is the offer that I’ve been sent for the card_name.
“Earn 7 Points Total At Gas Stations and 5 Points Total At Grocery Stores And Amazon.com” on up to $1,000 of combined spending between 1 October and 31 December 2023.
In recent quarters, there hasn’t been much variation in the quarterly spending promotions that have been targeted to Chase’s various co-branded cards, so there’s a strong chance that if one of your cards is showing an offer, this is the offer that you’ll see. There is, however, also a chance that a different offer may show up.
Interestingly, this quarter I’m only being offered a bonus of up to $1,000 of combined eligible spending instead of $1,500, so that’s a weakening of the target offer.
UPDATE: Thanks to Frequent Miler, we now know there are a few variations to the offer I’ve seen:
- Earn 7x points at gas stations & 5x at restaurants and Amazon (IHG Cards)
- Earn 10x points at gas stations, grocery stores & Amazon (Aer Lingus, BA, Iberia, Southwest)
- Earn 5x points at gas stations, grocery stores & Amazon (most other co-branded cards)
There’s also a report of a “spend $3,000 and get 5,000 bonus points” offer being targeted to holders of the Hyatt consumer card.
As has been the case with a lot of other similar promotions, these offers will be targeted to Chase’s co-branded credit cards and not Chase’s standalone cards (e.g. the card_name), so if you hold any co-branded cards (e.g. the card_name or the card_name), make sure you check to see if you have been targeted.
Checking for bonuses
If you want to see if Chase has targeted you for any bonuses, you should head over to Chase.com/mybonus, enter your name, your zip code, and the last 4 digits of your Chase credit card in the appropriate fields and the site will show you if that card has been targeted for a bonus offer. If you’re out of luck, try another card!
Be aware that you may see another rather insignificant spending offer appear on your screen (if you haven’t already activated it)…
… but this has nothing to do with the spending offers I’m discussing in this article.
Note: Cards that are not open to new applicants (like the legacy IHG Rewards Select credit card) are also eligible to be targeted for these bonuses.
The specific wording will differ from card to card, but the key terms that have been applied to the promotion that I can see look like this:
- To be eligible for this bonus offer, you must activate by 12/31/23 11:59 p.m. E.T.
- Qualifying Amazon.com purchases include purchases made at Amazon.com (including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third-party merchants through Amazon.com’s marketplace) and the participating Amazon stores and sites listed at Amazon.com/amazonvisa/benefits and Whole Foods Market (including physical Whole Foods Market and Whole Foods Market 365 stores, and the website accessible at www.wholefoodsmarket.com).
- Qualifying Amazon.com purchases do not include (i) purchases from merchants using Amazon Pay, (ii) purchases made at international Amazon retail sites (including but not limited to Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp), or any other website operated by Amazon that is not listed at Amazon.com/amazonvisa/benefits, (iii) purchases made at international Whole Foods Markets, (iv) purchases of Whole Foods Market products and services through third-party sites such as Eventbrite, Instacart, Google Express and Shipt, (v) online purchases of Whole Foods Market gift cards (including through buyatab.com), event tickets or classes, (vi) purchases from certain third-party vendors operating at Whole Foods Markets, (vii) purchases of massage services at any Whole Foods Market, or (viii) purchases from Spa@Ink, in each case in Amazon’s sole discretion.
- Total points shown is the maximum you will earn on those purchases during the promotion, regardless of what you already earn on those purchases in your rewards program.
- Purchases posted to your account with a transaction date during the offer period are eligible for this offer.
- Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for points to post to your account. IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card. See your Rewards Program Agreement for more details.
Terms specific to the IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card offer:
- Earn 7 Points Total At Gas Stations and 5 Points Total At Grocery Stores And Amazon.com
- You will earn 5 points total for each $1 spent on qualifying Amazon.com purchases and in the grocery stores category, and 7 points total for each $1 spent in the gas stations on up to $1,000 in total combined purchases from 10/01/2023 to 12/31/2023.
- Eligible credit cards: IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the targeted offer.
If you hold a Chase co-branded credit card, there’s a chance that you’ve been targeted for (or will be targeted for) a 4Q spending bonus, so head over to Chase.com/mybonus to see what (if anything) is waiting for you.
If you’re fortunate enough to find bonus offers linked to one or more of your cards, don’t forget to compare the value of what you’re being offered to the value you can get from the other cards in your portfolio as the 4Q bonuses may not be the best deals open to you.