Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
With no annual fee, good cash back on key spending categories, and a nice welcome offer that should be easy for most to max out, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a card that looks tempting right now. Cash back may not be the coolest of rewards that you can get from a credit card but it’s as reliable a reward as you’ll find and when prices on most things appear to be rising, reliable is often preferable to cool.
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card is a no-annual-fee card (rates & fees) that in comparison to other cards in its class, offers great rates of cash back (at US supermarkets and at US gas stations). It’s also now the only card that lists “US online retail purchases” as a bonus category.
Here’s what you need to know about the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express:
- $0 (zero) – rates & fees
Current welcome offer:
Receive up to $250 back in statement credits:
- Earn 20% back (max. $150) as a statement credit on purchases when you use your new Card to check out with PayPal in the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn $100 back as a statement credit after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership.
Note: The current welcome offer is not available to anyone who currently holds this card or who has had this card in the past.
Earnings (terms apply):
- 3% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 in annual purchases*
- 3% cash back at US gas stations on up to $6,000 in annual purchases*
- 3% cash back on up to $6,000 of US online retail purchases*
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card earns unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
*1% cash back thereafter
Key benefits (terms apply and enrollment may be required):
- Up to $15 in monthly statement credits for online meal kit purchases from Home Chef.
- A $7 monthly statement credit for spending $13.99 or more (each month) on an eligible Disney Bundle subscription.
- Secondary rental car coverage
- Returns protection
Important to know:
- Cashback is earned in the form of reward dollars which can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Once a cardholder reaches the $6,000/year limit imposed on spending in select shopping categories, they’ll earn 1% cashback on all further eligible spending in those categories.
- The Disney Bundle statement credit is valid on qualifying purchases made online at U.S. websites Disneyplus.com, Hulu.com or Plus.espn.com.
- Superstores, convenience stores, warehouse clubs, and meal-kit delivery services are not considered supermarkets (see here for more details).
- To earn cash back in the new “US online retail purchases” category, the purchases must be made on a website or an app from a U.S. retail merchant that sells physical goods or merchandise directly to consumers (see here for more details).
Why this is a good card
No annual fee
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card is a card that doesn’t charge an annual fee and it offers cash back rather than miles or points so, at a time when people are looking to save money, this can be a very useful card to have (rates & fees).
The welcome offer
The $250 cash back that can be earned is effectively a ~9% rebate on the first $2,750 of spending on the card and assuming you don’t carry a balance at any point during your card membership or miss a payment (and so incur interest charges), this is effectively free money. Also, if you’re disciplined with how you use the Blue Cash Everyday® Card and make sure that you only use it for spending made in categories that earn more than 1% cash back, the welcome bonus can be earned alongside other very good rebates.
Good earnings (terms apply)
As well as the good welcome offer, the Blue Cash Everyday® card also manages to combine very low fees with solid earnings in two key categories where a lot of people usually see significant spending – groceries and gas stations. 3% cash back at US supermarkets (up to a limit of $6,000 in spending) isn’t the best return you can find for grocery spending, but it’s a very solid return for a card that doesn’t charge an annual fee.
Lastly, it’s worth noting that the 3% cash back the Blue Cash Everyday® card offers on up to $6,000 of US online retail purchases is a new feature and one that isn’t offered by any other card – as no annual fee cards go, that’s pretty impressive.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card (in summary)
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card doesn’t charge an annual fee (rates & fees), it’s currently offering a good welcome bonus, and it gives cardholders a very good rate of return for spending made at US supermarkets. As an added bonus, it offers 3% cash back on up to $6,000 of annual spending at US gas stations and the same again on spending on US online retail purchases and, as with all American Express cards, it gives cardholders access to valuable Amex Offers which can help a cardholder save yet more money.
With no miles/points currency to worry about (just pure cashback), no annual fee, and cashback on groceries, gas, and department stores, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card would be a good card for someone looking for…
- A simple card to use
- Savings in key spending areas like groceries and gas
- Savings at department stores
At a time when saving money and earning cash back are on a lot of people’s minds, this is definitely a card worth considering.