Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
For pretty obvious reasons we’re not seeing very may travel-related offers being targeted to people’s Amex accounts, but this offer comes pretty close. American Express is targeting holders of various Membership Rewards cards for a very nice offer on Rimowa luggage and the deal can be made even better by using one of the many shopping portals offering additional miles or points.
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards Points With Rimowa
Get 10,000 additional Membership Rewards points one-time by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $600 in one or more eligible transactions in-store at Rimowa or online at Rimowa.com by 8/31/2020.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards that are enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of purchase are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Valid in-store and online.
- Not valid on purchases shipped outside of the US.
- Excludes Client Care Centers and authorized retailers.
- Excludes repair services including hotel repairs, charges made to hotel room at Rimowa retailers located inside of hotels and Aspen Pop up store.
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the additional points. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the additional Membership Rewards points if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party.
- Limit of 10,000 additional Membership Rewards points per Card Member.
- Any additional points you receive through this offer are in addition to the points you would normally receive for purchases charged to your Card, but the number of additional points you receive will be based on the purchase price after any credit or other discount is applied.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions
Shop Through A Portal
Unfortunately, Rakuten doesn’t include Rimowa as a partner (otherwise even more Membership Rewards Points would have been up for grabs) but you can still click through a number of airline portals to boost your earnings further.
Given the choice you see above, I would probably choose American Airlines AAdvantage or British Airways Executive Club as those are the programs in which I already have substantinal balances and whose currencies I use the most frequently, but Alaska’s miles are probably still the most valuable out of the list above.
I should lay my cards on the table right now and say that I’m a Briggs & Riley guy so this isn’t an offer that interests me, but I’ve seen enough flyers with easy-to-spot Rimowa luggage to know that this offer will have reasonably broad appeal.
I value Membership Rewards Points at 1.5 cents each so, effectively, this deal is offering a rebate of $150 on a spend of $600. If you can keep your spending to as close to $600 as possible (without going under) that will be an impressive rebate of ~25%. Realistically, however, anyone buying Rimowa luggage is probably going to spend more than that (it’s not cheap!) so the percentage discount is likely to be lower.
An effective rebate of $150 is a nice offer to be targeted for if you’re a Rimowa fan and are in the market for a new piece of luggage. The discount stores that I tend to use (e.g. eBags) don’t usually stock Rimowa luggage so it’s unlikely that you’ll be passing up on savings by shopping with Rimowa directly…just make sure you click through your preferred shopping portal first!