Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures at the bottom of every page.
A new Amex offer has appeared on a number of my cards which is offering a $175 statement credit for Cathay Pacific spending made by the end of the year. The offer is targeted but with more than one of my cards showing this offer it doesn’t look like it’s being restricted to just a few people so this should be pretty widely available.
Spend $1,000 & get $175 back with Cathay Pacific
Get a one-time $175 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $1,000 in one or more purchases online at cathaypacific.com or via Cathay Pacific Airways App by 12/31/2022.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid for purchases made directly with Cathay Pacific Airways online at US website cathaypacific.com or through the Cathay Pacific Airways App.
- Offer valid only for purchases where Cathay Pacific Airways is the merchant of record.
- Flight must originate from US, purchase must be made through US Website or US version of merchant mobile app.
- Excludes the following: (i) purchases in-person at the airport, lounges, and Cathay Shop online, (ii) purchases on-board flights for food, beverage, and WiFi, (iii) standalone hotel bookings and car rentals, (iv) purchases through third parties or affiliated agents, and (v) charges for pet fees, port service fees and animal hold fees, (vi) duty-free pre-flight orders, Marco Polo Club Service Center, air ticket reissuance, travel insurance, revalidating an air ticket issued by another airline and Asiamiles.com.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 12/31/2022, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Amex offer if you’ve been targeted for it.
$1,000 isn’t all that much to spend on air travel (if you’re a family or booking a premium cabin) and when you add in the fact that the spending requirement doesn’t have to be met in a single transaction and that you only have to book and pay (not fly) by the end of the year, this becomes an offer that should be relatively easy to use.
As I’m seeing this offer on every Amex card that I hold, this is clearly not an offer that’s being narrowly targeted, and as this includes the Platinum Card® from American Express (review), a lot of cardholders should also be able to earn 5 points/dollar on their booking alongside the $175 rebate – that a haul of at least 5,000 points which I value at $75 (terms apply).
American Express is now targeting select cardholders for a saving of up to 17.5% on bookings made with Cathay Pacific by 31 December 2022. Make sure you read the terms and conditions of the offer carefully before you book (not all spending with the airline will qualify to trigger the credit) and make sure you book using one of Cathay Pacific’s US sales channels or you won’t trigger the credit.