Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
The various hotel year-end promotions are now starting to appear and with Hilton and IHG’s offers already out there for all to see it’s now Hyatt’s turn to let us know what it plans to offer travelers in the last months of 2019.
Hyatt 2019 Year-End Promotion – Bonus Journeys
- Stay 15 September – 15 December 2019
- Register by 31 October 2019
- Earn triple points at Hyatt Place properties
- Earn double points at all other Hyatt brands
- Earnings start from a guest’s second stay
- No more than 200,000 bonus points can be earned in this promotion (a maximum of 100,000 points at Hyatt Place properties & a maximum of 100,000 points at non-Hyatt Place properties)
Headline terms & conditions are published at the end of this post
There are a few things I don’t like about this promotion but the main issue I have is that the first stay during the promotion period doesn’t qualify for this promotion.
Hyatt may think that the rule is there to make sure than no infrequent travelers benefit from its year-end promotion but all it’s actually doing is annoying Hyatt’s loyalty base – all stays should be valued so all stays should qualify for the year-end promotion.
I’m also not exactly pleased to see Hyatt capping the number of points that can be earned in this promotion as, once again, it’s simply penalizing Hyatt’s most loyal guests.
The number of guests who Hyatt doesn’t value and who would be prepared to somehow try to game this promotion (if Hyatt didn’t implement a cap) is almost certainly insignificant, so the guests most likely to be affected by the cap are those who frequently spend tens of thousands of dollars with the hotelier and who are the ones Hyatt should be trying to keep happy most.
It’s interesting to note that Hilton is also offering double/triple points as its end of year promotion but in Hilton’s case the triple points can be earned at all properties worldwide (assuming you have a Hilton co-branded credit card), all stays count and there’s no cap on the number of points guests can earn – that’s how to structure a promotion!
While it’s nice to see Hyatt publishing a year-end promotion it’s less nice to see the hotelier inserting caveats and limits that are simply unnecessary. As the hotelier with the loyalty program that it is hardest to stay loyal too, Hyatt should be making it easier for guests to enjoy its promotions rather than making things harder so, although I’ll be making sure I resister for the offer, I won’t be going out of my way to put more stays Hyatt’s way because of it.
Headline Terms & Conditions
- You must be a member of World of Hyatt and register for the promotion between September 9 and October 31, 2019 to participate.
- To join World of Hyatt, visit worldofhyatt.com, and to register for the promotion visit www.worldofhyatt.com/bonusjourneys.
- All eligible stays under this promotion must be completed September 15 through December 15, 2019 (“Promotion Period”).
- Only Base Points are multiplied, and they are awarded as Bonus Points.
- Offer valid for multiple Bonus Points beginning on your second Eligible Stay at any participating properties during the Promotion Period.
- First Eligible Stay can be at any participating property during the Promotion Period to trigger Bonus Point eligibility for any future stays.
- Hyatt Place hotels bonus: Beginning on your second eligible stay, you will receive Triple Points on eligible spend at Hyatt Place hotels during the Promotion Period.
- Non-Hyatt Place hotels bonus: Beginning on your second eligible stay, you will receive Double Points on eligible spend at Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide (except Hyatt Place hotels), participating M life Rewards destinations and participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World hotels during the Promotion Period.
- Maximum 200,000 Bonus Points total may be earned during Promotion Period, with a maximum of 100,000 Bonus Points for the Hyatt Place hotels bonus and a maximum of 100,000 Bonus Points for the Non-Hyatt Place hotels bonus.
- All points awarded under this promotion are Bonus Points.
- For the purpose of this promotion, an “Eligible Stay” is defined as any night where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award for at least one night of their stay.
- Only the room occupied by the Member will count toward this promotion.
- You must provide your World of Hyatt membership number at the time of check-in for each stay.
- Please allow two to three weeks after your qualifying stay for Bonus Points to be posted to your World of Hyatt account.
- Promotion not valid with other offers, promotions or discounts and is non-transferable.