Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
I don’t log into my Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card online account very often so I’ve only just seen a dining offer for $10 back on $200 of spending at US restaurants (can be used up to 5 times) for which my card appears to have been targeted.
In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t exactly an offer to get overly excited about but if you have some significant dining spending coming up it may well be worth checking to see if you’ve been targeted for this offer.
The Offer In Brief
- Enroll your Hilton Honors American Express card (assuming you have been targeted)
- Earn $10 in statement credits after you spend $200 at US restaurants
- Offer can be used up to 5 times
- Spending must be completed on/by 31 October 2019
Full terms and conditions have been reproduced at the end of this post.
There are a few key things to note:
- The tems and conditions that I can see suggest that this offer is being targeted at Hilton Honors co-branded American Express cards so you may have received this offer on any Hilton AMEX card you hold.
- The terms and conditions suggest that the $200 can be spent cumulatively and does not have to be spent in one go.
- Spending by authorized users will count towards the spending target.
- The purchase of gift cards is specifically excluded in the terms and conditions although, in practice, I suspect this will depend on how the information the restaurant supplies to AMEX is formatted.
- Be aware that restaurants based in hotels my show up on your AMEX card as hotel spending and not restaurant spending.
I was targeted for this offer on my Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card which earns 6 Hilton Honors Points per dollar at all US restaurants.
Assuming I was to spend exactly $200 at US restaurants in the promotion period I would earn 1,200 Hilton Honors Points and a $10 statement credit.
As I value Hilton Honors Points at 0.4 cents each that’s an effective rebate of $14.80 or 7.4%.
To decide if this is a good deal or not I need to compare this rebate to whatever other earnings I would have had if I hadn’t used my Surpass Card to pay for my restaurant spending.
As I would almost certainly use my Citi Prestige Card (5 points/dollar on all dining) in place of the Surpass card in the absence of any offer I would earn 1,000 Citi ThankYou Points which I value at $15…so this is more or less a wash (for me).
If you’re going to be spending quite a bit of money at restaurants in the US between now and 31 October it may be worth your while checking to see if you’ve been targeted for this offer and then crunching the number to see if the offer is worth it to you – YMMV.
Full Terms & Conditions Per American Express
- Enroll and earn a $10 Statement Credit after you spend $200 on eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants on your Hilton Honors American Express Card (the “Purchase Requirement”), starting from the time you complete enrollment through October 31, 2019 (“Purchase Period”), up to 5 times for a maximum of $50 in statement credits. Enrollment period ends on 10/31/2019.
- If you reach the Purchase Requirement, the Statement Credit(s) will be credited to your account within 8 weeks after October 31, 2019.
- Eligible purchases to meet the Purchase Requirement of this offer include those made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card Account.
- Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits.
- Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents.
- Purchases may fall outside of the Purchase Period (and therefore not be eligible for the Statement Credit) in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you make a purchase online, the purchase date may be the shipping date.)
- To be eligible, the purchase must be at a restaurant located in the United States.
- Purchases made at a restaurant owned by a U.S. company but located outside the U.S. (e.g. Hard Rock Café in Paris) are not eligible.
- Purchases at superstores, warehouse clubs, nightclubs, convenience stores, grocery stores, or supermarkets are not eligible.
- Purchases at a restaurant located within another establishment (e.g. a restaurant inside a hotel, casino, or event venue) may not be eligible. For example, purchases made at a restaurant located within a hotel may be recognized as a purchase at a hotel, not a restaurant.
- To receive the Statement Credit(s), your Card Account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of fulfillment.
- Additional Card Members are not eligible to receive this offer.
- American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.
- For questions regarding your Card Account, please call the number on the back of your Card.
- Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not be eligible if a merchant, or a particular merchant location, uses a code that is not eligible.
- A purchase may not be eligible if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
- Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not be eligible.