Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
British Airways has launched a promotion in which it’s offering its Executive Club members the opportunity to earn double Avios on up to six flights between now and the end of the year.
British Airways is promotion this deal as a 100% Bonus Avios offer in honor of the airline’s centenary year but the truth is that BA has offered similar promotions a few times in the past (like in September last year) so this isn’t really anything new.
What also isn’t new is that you may need to be a little careful with this promotion if you’re to make the most out of it….and I’ll explain why after I’ve told you how the promotion works and given you the headline t&cs
Earn Double Avios On Flights Through 31 December 2019
- Register via this British Airways page
- Book qualifying flights by 19 April 2019
- Fly before 31 December 2019
- Earn double Avios on the first 6 flights you take after registration
- Eligible Participants will only be awarded 100% bonus Avios calculated from the base Avios so the number of Avios awarded will be calculated before any cabin and Tier bonuses are applied.
- Bonus Avios will be added to Executive Club accounts after each flight has been taken
- Passengers who fly a minimum of 6 qualifying flights during the promotion period will unlock an additional ‘mystery bonus’ (which will be offered in the form of Avios).
- This promotion cannot be used retrospectively. This promotion only applies to those who register, book and travel during the promotion period.
Qualifying Flights (Per BA):
A Qualifying Flight is either a one-way (single sector) or a return flight (two sectors) between the point of departure and final destination with no scheduled change of aircraft that must be booked after the Member has registered. Members can receive 100% bonus Avios on up to six Qualifying Flights. A Qualifying Flight is (i) a BA prefix on any selling class (excluding Reward flights or upgrades using Avios) or cabin on any BA operated service, or (ii) any flight included as part of a British Airways Holiday package, and (iii) a BA prefix on a transatlantic flight operated by British Airways (BA), American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between Europe and North America. The promotion also applies to travel on domestic flights within the UK and southern Africa (operated by Comair), Sunnair and CityFlyer. Any other flights operated by any other BA franchises, codeshare partners or oneworld alliance members will not qualify.
Just to be clear: An itinerary like Los Angeles – London – Los Angeles counts as two flights and, after you’re flown it, you would be left with 4 more flights on which you can earn double Avios.
There are a few key things to bear in mind here:
- Existing bookings will not earn double Avios in this promotion – only bookings made between 21 March and 19 April 2019 will count.
- Flights booked through other oneworld carriers do not count towards this promotion even if they’re credited to the British Airways Executive Club.
- Transatlantic flights operated by American Airlines, Finnair and Iberia will only qualify for this promotion if booked through British Airways (and therefore come with a BA flight number)
- It’s only the base Avios that will be doubled and not the total number of Avios earned which includes status and cabin bonuses.
For some travelers tactics will have to come into play if they are to maximize their earnings in this promotion.
If you’re booking more than 6 qualifying flights it may be a good idea to make sure that only the 6 flights which will earn the most Avios are credited to the BAEC during this promotion.
The best way to do this is to credit the lower earning flights to another oneworld loyalty program.
Be careful, however, that by attempting to maximize your earnings in this promotion you’re not inadvertently also cheating yourself out of valuable Tier Points which you need to attain whatever status level you’re reaching for.
While its disappointing that existing bookings don’t qualify for this promotion I understand why they don’t – this is an attempt at BA to drum up some extra business so why would the airline reward those of us who have already committed to fly with it?
With the all of this year’s major vacations included in this promotion there could be some good Avios earning opportunities here….especially for anyone booking some the excellent Business Class fares we often see for travel during the quieter months for Business travel.
Whatever you think of this promotion and regardless of whether or not you expect to make any new bookings you should make sure you register for the promotion (via this link) as soon as possible – it would be a shame to miss out on free Avios (if your plans change) just because you didn’t take 30 seconds to register.