Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Apparently, it’s Walmart Day at American Express. A few hours ago Amex announced that the Platinum Card® from American Express now comes with a new Walmart+ statement credit and now cardholders are being targeted for a bonus points offer on spending made at Walmart.com through Thanksgiving. If you shop at Walmart and carry the right card, this is a good day for you.
Get 5 bonus points per dollar at Walmart (up to 2,500 points)
Get 5 additional Membership Rewards points for each dollar spent on eligible purchases made using your enrolled Card online at walmart.com by 11/25/2021. Limit of 2,500 Membership Rewards points. Excludes Walmart+ memberships.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer valid online at Walmart.com. Includes Walmart pickup & delivery purchases made online at Walmart.com and qualifying purchases made through the Walmart mobile app. Purchases of Walmart+ memberships are excluded.
- Qualifying purchases must be made in USD via the US version of the website and shipped within the U.S.
- Excludes purchases from third party or affiliate websites linked with/from walmart.com (such as, but not limited to, Walmart Contacts, Walmart Checks, Walmart Photo Services, Walmart Stationary, and Walmart Moneygram).
- Excludes bulk gift cards & e-gift cards, in-store purchases, layaway purchases, insurance services, auto services, pharmacy transactions, protection plans, and recurring subscription services (for example, Beauty Box and Baby Box).
- You may not receive the additional Membership Rewards points if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.
- You will receive 5 additional Membership Rewards points per eligible dollar spent using your enrolled American Express Card in accordance with the terms of this offer.
- Limit of 2,500 additional Membership Rewards points per Card Member.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Amex offer if you’ve been targeted for it.
The only card that I have this offer targeted to is my Platinum Card® from American Express and while this may be a coincidence, I suspect this offer has been deliberately launched on the same day as the new Platinum Card Walmart+ statement credit so there’s a chance that this offer is limited to Platinum Card holders (let me know in the comments if you have this offer targeted to any card other than the Platinum Card).
As I value Amex Membership Rewards points at 1.5 cents each (based on the value that I know that I can extract from them with little effort), this targeted offer is effectively giving cardholders a bonus rebate of 7.5% on shopping made at Walmnart.com.
A little disappointingly, the bonus points on offer are capped at 2,500 which means that only $500 of shopping will earn any bonus points from Amex (any shopping above this amount should be put on the Chase Freedom Flex card which is currently offering 5 points/dollar on up to $1,500 at Walmart) but 2,500 points are better than nothing and with Walmart.com selling just about everything under the sun, this should be one of those targeted offers that’s reasonably easy to max out…especially with the holiday shopping season just around the corner.
Amex has launched a new targeted offer in which it’s offering select cardholders 5 bonus points per dollar on up to $500 of spending made at Walmart.com. If you’re fortunate enough to be targeted for this offer make sure that you read the terms and conditions carefully as not all purchased through Walmart.com or the Walmart app will trigger the bonus points.
Featured image courtesy of American Express