Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
I don’t really rent cars often enough to warrant worrying about rental car status but, because my Platinum Card from American Express gives me Hertz 5-Star status, I gravitate towards Hertz when prices elsewhere are not significantly cheaper.
Overall I find Hertz’s customer service to be pretty good and I like the cars it offers at the locations I most often rent from but the Hertz app has long been an obvious weak link in the corporation’s offering.
Right now it’s such a weak link that it simply crashes every time I try to open it…..but that may be by design.
Hertz has now released a new version of its app for iOS and Android but, unlike most updates we see, this update isn’t a revamp or a tweak of the old app….it’s a completely new app.
Apparently the old Hertz app was so poor that it was quicker for the corporation’s developers to build a new app from scratch!
In honor of the release of the new app Hertz is currently offering anyone who downloads the app a free rental day….with a little catch. The customer first has to book a 5-day rental.
How The Offer Works
- Download the new Hertz app for iOS or Android
- Book a 5-day (or longer) rental using PC #205163 in the promotion code field of the booking.
- Rental must be booked and completed by 30 June 2019
- Bookings must be made at least 24-hours in advance of pick-up
- Promotion valid only in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- Taxes and fees will still have to be paid on the ‘free’ day
- The vehicle reserved must be an ‘Intermediate Class’ vehicle or higher*
- Any changes to the reservation will nulify the deal
*Dream Cars are excluded from this promotion
Is This Worth It?
This is a question I know a lot of people will ask but its a question to which there’s no one single answer.
- If you don’t need to book a car for 5 days in the first place clearly this isn’t worth it
- If you do need a 5-day rental then this may be worth it….but only if it’s not more expensive than the other options available to you.
The key here will be to shop around and to see what other rental companies are quoting you and comparing it to the price Hertz is showing you in the app (I would use AutoSlash to compare prices but there are any number of price comparison sites available).
Bear in mind that not all rental companies are created equal (far from it) so choosing the cheapest option may not be the sensible way to go….but, likewise, spending considerably more just to rent from Hertz and to get this deal) probably isn’t a sensible way to go either.
The free day Hertz is offering here isn’t completely free (you’ll still have to pay the taxes and fees) and it comes with a few restrictions that will put some people off….but there’s still value to be had here.
Do your research before booking, compare prices and only if the math works in your favor should you book….and don’t forget to be very sure of the dates/car you’re booking as any future changes will nullify the deal.
Featured image courtesy of Hertz