Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
A couple of days ago, Southwest launched what must be one of the most rewarding promotions of the year when it started offering a limited-time Companion Pass to Southwest Rapid Rewards members who book a flight by 24 September and then travel by 15 November 2020. 24 September is TODAY so there are just hours left to get in on this fantastic deal.
- Register for this promotion here
- Book a Southwest flight by 24 September 2020 (TONIGHT)
- Travel by 15 November 2020
- Earn a Promotional Companion Pass valid for use between 6 January and 28 February 2021
- Registration must be completed prior to booking and commencement of travel.
- Valid on new qualifying revenue flights booked between 22 and 24 September 2020 for travel during the Promotion Period and flown within the Promotion Period.
- Member’s qualifying flight must be booked through Southwest Airlines
- All travel must be completed during the Promotion Period.
- A qualifying flight is a one-way revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections or a round trip revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city and back to the originating airport or carrier-recognized co-terminal.
- Travel booked or flown prior to registration for this promotion is not eligible for the Promotional Companion Pass offer.
- Charter flights, group travel, Southwest Vacations Packages, and reservations made using Rapid Rewards points do not qualify for this promotion.
- Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion.
What The Promotional Companion Pass Offers
The Promotional Companion Pass is valid for travel between 6 January and 28 February 2021 and it allows the holder to bring along a companion on the same flight(s) as them for just the cost of the taxes and fees that are ordinarily charged on a fare (from $5.60 one-way).
A Companion Pass booking can be made alongside a cash or a points reservation on all routes operated by Southwest (including the routes outside of the US) and as long as there are two seats for sale on the aircraft a Companion Pass can be used.
Companion Pass holders can change their designated companion up to three times during the validity of the Promotional Companion Pass, but Rapid Rewards members who go on to qualify for an annual companion pass should be aware that any changes to their designated companion during the time they hold a Promotional Companion Pass will reduce the number of changes they can make to their designated companion for the annual Companion Pass. In case that’s not entirely clear, this is an example that Southwest has provided:
[I]f you earn a Promotional Companion Pass through this promotion, change your designated Companion twice during the validity period for Promotional Companion Pass, and later in 2021 earn Companion Pass, you would only be able to change your designated Companion one more time in 2021.
Travelers flying for free on a Companion Pass will not accrue Rapid Rewards Points, Tier Points or credit towards a future Companion Pass.
For anyone who likes traveling with Southwest (there’s not much not to like) and who plans on taking some flights with a companion in the first two months of next year, this can be an incredibly lucrative promotion.
Southwest’s terms and conditions clearly state that a one-way flight (in any fare category) booked by 24 September will earn the Promotional Companion Pass so with fares as low as $45 currently available on numerous Southwest routes, a flyer could effectively lock in almost two months of free flying for a companion for under $50. That’s pretty incredible when you consider that this will include flights to destinations like Cancun and the various Hawaiian Islands that Southwest now serves.
Southwest is currently offering a limited-time Promotion Companion Pass to everyone who books a fare by TONIGHT and who travels on that fare by 15 November 2020. Considering how much a Companion Pass can save a traveler (even a limited-time companion pass) this has to go down as a “must not miss” promotion for anyone living in (or near) and area Served by Southwest.