Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Small Luxury Hotels is the upscale hotel network that partners with the World of Hyatt and that provides the program with most of its European properties. It also provides the World of Hyatt with all of its top-tier properties and right now you can save on your next SLH stay thanks to a sale in which the network is offering a 20% bonus on all gift card purchases.
- 20% added value offer is valid for all Gift Card purchases from 1st November 2021 to 22nd December 2021
- The minimum value of purchase to qualify for additional 20% added value is 50 USD/ 50 GBP/ 50 EUR, 50 AUD
- SLH Gift Cards in Euros, Great British Pounds Sterling, US Dollars and Australian Dollars are issued by and are the property of Small Luxury Hotels of the World Management Limited whose registered office is at 7 Howick Place, London, SW1P 1BB, United Kingdom (“SLH”).
- SLH Gift Cards issued are subjected to these Terms and Conditions; and by purchasing a SLH Gift Card, you will be deemed to have read and accepted these Terms and Conditions.
- SLH member hotels participating in the redemption of SLH Gift Cards are referred to in these Terms and Conditions as “SLH Hotels”.
- SLH Gift Cards are issued for redemption at any SLH hotel worldwide in exchange for the provision of either any accommodation, services or benefits equivalent in value to its full face value.
- Payment will be made to Small Luxury Hotels of the World Management Limited.
- SLH Gift Cards may be cancelled after issue if any information supplied at the time of purchase is untrue or inaccurate, or if payment is declined or incorrect cardholder details and/or billing information have been supplied.
- SLH Gift Cards may only be used for whole or part payment for room bookings in all SLH Hotels worldwide.
- All room bookings redeemed using SLH Gift Cards must be pre-booked online at www.slh.com or via SLH Reservation Centres. Valid SLH Gift Card(s) must be presented upon check-in at the hotel.
- If SLH Gift Card is issued in a currency other than the official currency of the SLH Hotel at which it is redeemed, then it will be converted at full face value into the official currency of the redeeming SLH Hotel at the prevailing foreign exchange rate then offered by that SLH Hotel.
- SLH Gift Cards are subject to the laws of England and the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any disputes.
Full terms and conditions can be found here
There are a few important takeaways here and things to consider before you buy any SLH gift cards:
1 – These gift cards can be purchased in USD, Euros, GBP, and AUD and you should try to buy the gift cards in whatever currency the hotel(s) you plan to use them at will charge.
It’s possible to use gift cards issued in all four currencies at any SLH property in the world, but when you redeem a gift card at a property that uses a different currency to the one loaded to the gift card, the property will use its own exchange rate to work out how much to deduct from the card. That exchange rate will not be a favorable one.
2 – As you’re adding gift cards to your basket you won’t see the 20% bonus being applied but you should see it showing when it comes time to checkout.
3 – The terms and conditions state that “All room bookings redeemed using SLH Gift Cards must be pre-booked online at www.slh.com or via SLH Reservation Centres” but as long as a prepaid rate isn’t booked, I don’t see how a property will be able to prevent someone from using a gift card if they’re booked through the Hyatt website.
If a prepaid rate is booked (either via Hyatt or SLH) a gift card cannot be used to pay for the stay but because gift cards can also be used to pay for services at SLH properties, any gift cards purchased in this sale should be useable to cover any charges made to the room during that stay.
4 – The terms and conditions state that payment for gift cards “will be made to Small Luxury Hotels of the World Management Limited” and that raises the possibility that a purchase will be coded as a travel or hotel transaction by the credit card companies. Just in case this turns out to be the case, make sure you use a credit card that will earn you a good bonus for travel/hotel spending if you decide to any gift cards in its sale.
5 – Keep in mind that these gift cards come with an expiration date (I think they’re valid for 1 year from the date of purchase – the t&cs don’t say) so don’t buy any gift cards without having some idea of how you’re going to use them. This sale will run for most of the rest of the year so you have time to do some research and to plan a trip before returning to this sale to buy whatever cards you need.
Small Luxury Hotels is now running a promotion in which it’s offering a 20% bonus on all gift card purchases made through 22 December. Make sure you try to figure out where you’ll use any gift cards that you buy before handing over your credit card details and try to buy gift cards in the same currency as the one used by the property/properties at which you plan to redeem them to make sure that you don’t lose out through a bad exchange rate.
Featured image: Casa Angelina Lifestyle courtesy of Hyatt
[HT: Loyalty Lobby]