Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
This is an unusual “bonus post” for TFM as I don’t normally cover UK-only credit card promotions but, as I’m seeing out the pandemic in the UK and as I happen to have a UK-issued British Airways credit card, I thought I’d share this news.
American Express has started targeting holders of UK British Airways American Express credit cards with a very nice offer which allows cardholders to earn bonus Avios at some big-name retailers until 12 September 2020. I hold the British Airways Premium Plus Card and I have been targeted for bonus Avios at Waitrose, Tesco, Marks & Spencer, Apple & Deliveroo.
This is what the offer looks like in my account:
The headline wording suggests that this offer may be more targeted than usual as it doesn’t mention the “selected merchants” by name, so the stores/retailers at which the bonus Avios on offer may vary from cardholder to cardholder.
I’ve used my card at most of the retailers my card as been targeted for and this is what my terms & conditions look like:
- 2 BA Avios will be awarded for every £1GBP spent at the participant merchants, every time until 12 September 2020
- This promotion is intended for UK Cardmembers only and for the targeted recipients of this offer
- Offer only available to Cardmembers who save the offer to their Card.
- Offer valid instore and online at Marks and Spencer, Tesco and Waitrose & Partners
- Offer valid online only at Apple UK and Deliveroo
- Offer available in the participating stores and online at https://merchantgeo.secure.force.com/selectsImage/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?retURL=/selectsImage/apex/selectsImage&file=00P3Z00001SJh9b
- Offer only applies to spend made in Great British Pound (GBP) on the Card to which the offer is saved, including an American Express Card loaded into a mobile payment wallet.
- Offer does not apply to spend on other Cards you might hold and is not valid for transactions made using Payment Aggregators
- Department store concessions and outlets are not included in the offer
- Marks and Spencer exclusions: Bank and Energy services, Bureau de change, Opticians and Petrol stations
- Waitrose & Partners exclusions: Cellar, Florist, Garden, Pet, Cookery school, Foreign Currency, Gift Section
- Tesco exclusions: Banking
- Apple exclusions: Apple iTunes, Apps and Apple Music, Apple Search Ads, Apple Finance and Gift Cards.
- Awarded Avios should appear on your statement within 5 days from qualifying spend but may take up to 90 days from 12 September 2020
- Awarded Avios may be reversed if qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled. Any misuse, as reasonably determined by us, relating to your redemption of Amex Offers may result in an awarded credit being reversed, and ineligibility from future Amex Offers and other promotions. This reversal may take place up to a maximum of 180 days after the offer campaign end date.
- Spend must be billed to your Card account by 12 September to be eligible for this offer. If participating merchants do not charge your Card during this period, for example a delay in dispatching your goods, you may not be eligible for this offer.
- For full Offer Terms and more details about statement credits click here
What’s interesting here is that the headline offer details say (bolding is mine)…
Save to Card to get 2 additional Avios for every £1 spent at Tesco, Waitrose & Partners, Marks & Spencer, Deliveroo and Apple every time until 12 September 2020.
…but the T&Cs say this:
2 BA Avios will be awarded for every £1GBP spent at the participant merchants, every time until 12 September 2020
Those two statements are not the same. Statement 1 clearly says that 2 additional Avios will be awarded, while statement 2 suggests that a total of 2 Avios/£ will be awarded. Statement 2 (from the detailed t&cs) appears to be incorrect as 2 Avios per £ would only represent a 0.5 Avios per £ improvement for BA Premium Plus cardholders…and that seems unlikely.
If you have a UK-issued British Airways Amerian Express credit card, check your online account to see if you’ve been targeted for this offer – a possible 3 Avios/£ at these retailers is very good news (especially if you’re shopping at Apple) and the deal will be better if you can shop through the British Airways online portal where yet more Avios await.
Have you been targeted for this offer? If you have, have you been offered bonus Avios at the same retailers?