Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
UPDATE: Some or All of the offer(s) mentioned in this post have now expired
On 1 October, Chase introduced us to the best welcome bonus it has ever offered on its Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card but with the current bonus set to be withdrawn on Wednesday, there are under three days left to lock in the chance to earn the five free nights that the Boundless card is now offering.
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card is Chase’s top-level Bonvoy credit card that offers credits towards elite status and a free award night every year. This can be a key card for anyone who visits Marriott properties with any frequency as no credit card earns more Bonvoy Points at Marriott properties worldwide than the Boundless card (not even Amex’s $450/year premium Bonvoy card).
Here’s what you need to know about the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card:
Cost of Authorised User Cards:
- $0 (zero)
Current Welcome Bonus:
- Get 5 free night certificates valid at Marriott properties costing 50,000 points or less per night after you spend $5,000 on Boundless Card in the first 3 months following account opening. (OFFER EXPIRED)
Are You Eligible?
Current holders of the following cards are ineligible for this card:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card (also known as Marriott Rewards Premier Plus)
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold credit card
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier credit card (also known as Marriott Rewards Premier)
Former holders of these three cards who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months are also ineligible for this offer.
- 6 points/dollar at Marriott Bonvoy properties worldwide
- 2 points/dollar on all other purchases
- Receive a free award night valid at properties costing up to 35,000 points/night on every card anniversary
- 15 elite nights credit towards status
- Earn Bonvoy Gold status when you spend $35,000 on the card each account year
- No foreign transaction fees
Why This Is A Great Card To Get
The Welcome Offer (EXPIRED)
The current welcome offer on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Card is for 5 free night certificates valid at Marriott properties costing 50,000 points (or less) per night after you spend $5,000 on the in the first 3 months following account opening and this is the most rewarding welcome offer this card has ever offered. In fact, this is the most rewarding welcome offer I ever recall seeing on any Marriott co-branded credit card.
The welcome offer this one replaced was for 100,000 points (after $3,000 in spending) so although the spending requirement has been increased, the new offer is considerably more impressive.
Marriott’s award chart shows that a certificate valid for properties costing up to costing 50,000 points per night is good for Category 7 properties in the off-peak season, Category 6 properties in Standard and off-peak season, and in Category 1-5 properties year-round:
Category 6 properties can frequently cost over $400 per night so, at the very least, I value this welcome bonus at around $2,000.
I’m sure that some people will be tempted to say that, technically, the current welcome offer is worth up to 250,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points but that’s not a great way to view things – 250,000 Bonvoy Points are more versatile than 5 free night certificates worth up to 50,000 each. Here’s why:
- Bonvoy Points can be transferred to a range of airlines as well as being used for hotel stays – certificates can only be used for hotel stays.
- 250,000 Bonvoy Points can be prevented from ever expiring – the certificates expire after 12 months and there’s no way of preventing that from happening.
- If you use a certificate for a night that costs less than 50,000 points you won’t get any change. If you’re using points, you only have to hand over the number of points that the night costs – there’s no spoilage.
- Marriott Bonvoy offers members a free night on all award bookings of 5 nights or more but this only relates to points bookings – putting 200,000 points together will get you 5 nights at a property costing 50,000 points/night but putting 4 of these certificates together will not get you a 5th free night.
Still, none of that should take away from how great this offer is for anyone who feels confident that they’ll be able to use the 5 free night certificates in the space of 12 months – used wisely, there’s an incredible amount of value that can be extracted from these certificates.
There are some very good Marriott Bonvoy properties at which a room can be booked for just 50,000 points per night (e.g. the Langley, the St Regis Langkawi, The Ritz-Carlton Abama, Marriott’s Ko’Olina Beach Club, and Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club to name just a few), and these are properties at which room rates frequently exceed $400 per night.
The Marriott Earnings
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card offers 6 points per dollar for spending at all Marriott properties worldwide and no other card offers a better return at Marriott properties than this one (not even the $450/year Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card from American Express). If you stay at Marriott properties with any kind of frequency and you don’t want to splash out on a card costing $450/year, this is the card for you.
The Annual Free Night Certificate
Every anniversary, Marriott Bonvoy Boundless cardholders receive a free night certificate which can be used at properties charging up to 35,000 points/night. Even if you disregard the current fantastic welcome bonus and the strong Marriott earnings rate that this card offers, the yearly free night certificate on its own is enough to cover the card’s annual fee year after year.
Elite Night Credits
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless cardholders will receive 15 Elite Nights credited to their accounts within 60 days of opening their new account and will continue to see 15 Elite Nights credited to their accounts on or before 1 March every year.
Without setting foot in a Marriott property the Boundless card gets a cardholder 60% of the way to Bonvoy Gold status (25 nights), 30% of the way to Platinum status (50 nights), and 20% of the way to Titanium status.
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card is a very solid card for anyone who’s looking to earn the maximum number of points on their Marriott stays without splashing out on a $450/year credit card.
The current “5 free nights” welcome offer is the most rewarding welcome offer the card has ever had, the annual free night certificate that the card offers will cover the annual fee every year, and the 15 bonus elite nights the card will credit to a cardholder’s account every year make earning status considerably easier than it may otherwise be. Unfortunately, you have under three days left to lock this all in.