Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Hyatt’s latest ‘Bonus Journeys‘ promotion is now live and offering guests the opportunity to earn a significant number of World of Hyatt points between now and 15 September. Registration for the promotion is a prerequisite for earning all the bonus points that are available so now is probably as good a time as any to register to make sure that you don’t miss out.
Registered members of the World of Hyatt program will earn triple points on every qualifying stay of two nights or more made between 20 July and 15 September 2021.
The Key Terms
- You must be a member of World of Hyatt and register for the promotion between July 7, 2021 and August 20, 2021.
- All eligible stays under this promotion must be completed after registering and between July 20, 2021 and September 15, 2021.
- For every stay of two or more qualifying nights after registration, you will receive triple points on eligible spend for stays at Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide and participating M life Rewards destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World (“SLH”) hotels, and Lindblad Expeditions.
- Eligible stays must include at least 2 consecutive nights at the same property, and at least two nights during the stay must be qualifying nights to count towards this offer.
- Only Base Points are tripled, and points awarded under this promotion are Bonus Points.
- Maximum 120,000 Bonus Points may be earned under this offer.
- All points awarded under this promotion are Bonus Points.
- For the purpose of this promotion, a qualifying night is any night where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award.
- Only the room occupied by the member will count toward this promotion.
- Please allow two to three weeks after check out for Bonus Points to be posted to your World of Hyatt account.
Full terms for this promotion can be found on Hyatt’s Bonus Journeys page.
This is a similar promotion to the Bonus Journeys promotion that we saw in June last year with three key differences:
- Single-night stays earned bonus points last year while this year’s promotion is restricted to stays of two nights or more.
- Last year, only Hyatt elites could earn bonus points on their first eligible stay (2,500 bonus points) while this year all members will earn bonus points on their first eligible stay.
- Last year’s promotion capped the earnings at 200,000 bonus points while this year the cap has been set considerably lower – 120,000 points.
Hyatt already offers 5 points/dollar (base points) to all World of Hyatt members so this promotion is increasing that rate to 15 points/dollar. On the basis that I value World of Hyatt points at 1.4 cents each, World of Hyatt members will be able to earn an effective rebate of 21% on stays made during the promotion…up to a point.
Because the number of bonus points (10/dollar) has been capped at 120,000, the effective rebate of 21% will only be available on the first $12,000 of spending made during the promotion – for most of us that won’t be an issue. For some, it may be an annoyance.
It’s a little disappointing that single-night bookings won’t qualify for bonus points this time around but it’s good to see that Hyatt hasn’t also excluded the first stay within the promotion period from this offer (I hate it when loyalty programs do that).
Still, for most people who are comfortable traveling through 15 September 2021 this is a very nice offer and because Hyatt still has a traveler-friendly award chart (the key devaluations have been postponed yet again), the ability to earn at least 15 points/dollar means that travelers can earn free nights without too much difficulty…especially if they also hold the World of Hyatt Credit card (review).
A Discoverist World of Hyatt member (the status which comes from holding the World of Hyatt credit card) who spends $2,000 with Hyatt on stays of 2 nights or more during the promotion period, uses their World of Hyatt credit card to pay for that spending would earn:
- 10,000 base points
- 1,000 elite status bonus points
- 20,000 bonus points from this promotion
- 8,000 points for putting $2,000 of Hyatt spending on the World of Hyatt credit card.
That’s a total of 39,000 points (which I value at $546) and that’s more than enough for: