Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Marriott Homes & Villas is running another bonus points promotion for the next couple of weeks and anyone who can make the most of that deal may be able to stack it with a new targeted Amex offer in which select cardholders are being given the chance to save on their next Marriott Homes & Villas booking.
Earn bonus points with Marriott Homes & Villas
The deal is pretty simple:
Earn double points on bookings of at least three consecutive nights made by 29 July 2022 for stays made through 31 January 2023 (link)
- A “stay” is defined as three (3) or more consecutive nights spent at the same property.
- Registration is not required for this promotion.
- Marriott Bonvoy Members earn double points per stay at a participating home rental between July 11, 2022 (12:01 AM EDT) – July 29, 2022 (11:59 PM EDT) through the Homes & Villas by Marriott International website (“HVMI Platform”).
- Stays of three (3) or more consecutive nights must be completed during the promotion earning period, beginning July 11, 2022, up to and including nights stayed on or before January 31, 2023.
- Members earn five (5) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, on all Qualifying Charges incurred and paid for by the Member through the HVMI Platform.
- After the stay is completed, the promotion bonus Points awarded will be equal to the number of base Points earned per stay. Therefore, for each qualifying U.S. dollar spent, 10 total Points will be awarded.
- Promotion bonus Points are in addition to the base Points and any Elite bonus Points earned per stay within the promotion earning period.
- Charges that do not qualify for Points include, but are not limited to, taxes, booking fees, cleaning fees, security deposits, and extra add-on services purchased and/or applied to home rentals booked through the HVMI Platform.
- Home rentals booked through third-party online retailers are ineligible to earn for this promotion.
- Marriott Participating Brand Residences may be featured on the HVMI Platform: however, they do not participate in the Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program and do not participate in this promotion.
- Award redemption stays where Points are redeemed for a portion of, or the entire stay are not eligible for the promotion.
- Provided that the correct Marriott Bonvoy Membership Account Number is added as part of the booking process, Points will automatically appear in the Member’s Account three (3) to six (6) weeks (21-42 days) following the completion of their stay.
- Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Marriott Homes & Villas webpage
Homes & Villas bookings earn all Bonvoy members a standard 5 points/dollar before any elite status bonuses are factored in. This promotion will therefore double that to 10 points/dollar.
On top of that, there are the Bonvoy elite bonuses which will make the potential earnings look like this:
- Member – 10 points/dollar (no additional bonus)
- Silver Elite – 10.5 points/dollar (includes 10% bonus on base earnings)
- Gold Elite – 11.25 points/dollar (includes 25% bonus on base earnings)
- Platinum Elite – 12.5 points/dollar (includes 50% bonus on base earnings)
- Titanium & Ambassador Elite – 13.75 points/dollar (includes 75% bonus on base earnings)
There’s no question that Bonvoy Points will take a hit in value from next year when Marriott moves (fully) to dynamic pricing for award bookings, but as there’s an opportunity to earn points from this promotion before dynamic pricing comes fully into effect, readers should still be able to extract good value what whatever points they earn through this promotion.
As things stand, I continue to value Bonvoy Points at 0.6 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them with relative ease) despite the partial move to dynamic pricing and that means that the latest Homes & Villas promotion allows Bonvoy members to earn effective rebates of between 6% and 8.25%.
Save up to $200 on Homes & Villas bookings with Amex [Targeted]
This is the offer that has appeared in targeted accounts in the past few days:
Get a $100 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $500 USD in one or more purchases on room rate and room charges for your stay at Homes & Villas by Marriott properties from 7/11/2022 to 10/31/2022.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid at all Homes & Villas by Marriott International properties.
- Reservations for Homes & Villas by Marriott International properties must be made online at homesandvillasbymarriott.com.
- Excludes all other Marriott brands.
- Not valid on gift card purchases, online retail purchases, hotel amenities or purchases of Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Cancellation fees apply and may vary by property.
- Offer valid on property rate and charges incurred at time of reservation.
- Offer not valid for stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date (for example, if the final payment that occurs 30 days before your stay falls outside of the promotion dates, it will not count towards qualification).
- Qualifying purchase means a purchase at a Homes & Villas by Marriott International property made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totaling at least $500USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Card Member Agreement.
- Limit of 2 statement credits (total of $200 back) per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 10/31/2022, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
There’s good news and bad news here.
The first bit of good news is that this offer appears to have been targeted to Amex’s Marriott Bonvoy cards as well as to a variety of other cards that Amex issues (I have it targeted to my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express Card).
The second bit of good news is that for once, Amex isn’t limiting one of its hotel offers to properties in North America so this rebate can be earned at Homes & Villas properties around the world.
The (small bit of) bad news here is that unlike some other Amex Homes & Villas offers that we’ve seen, this offer appears to require cardholders to make a single payment of $500 or more to trigger the rebate (cumulative spending of $500 with Homes & Villas will not trigger the rebate).
Still, considering the cost of a lot of the rentals on the Homes & Villas website, this probably won’t cause too many issues.
As I value Bonvoy points at 0.6 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them without too much effort) and that means that a holder of an Amex Bonvoy co-branded card who has been targeted for the rebate offer and who spends at least $800 can, effectively, get 6% back on their Homes & Villas by Marriott booking(s) as well as earning the $200 statement credit. That’s not bad at all!
The second bit of good news is that the details of the offer specifically state that the spending required to trigger the rebate doesn’t have to be done in a single transaction. This means that a couple of cheap (short) stays will trigger the credit in the same way that a single stay of $800 or more will trigger it.
Marriott and Amex are both currently running promotions for Homes & Villas bookings and anyone in a position to stack these deals could end up saving up to $200 and at the same time, earning up to 13.75 points/dollar.