Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Of late, we’ve been seeing an incredible number of hotel offers from American Express (there are offers available for Hilton, IHG, Best Western, and even FHR right now) and now Amex is targeting cardholders for savings at Marriott Bonvoy properties in North America and the Caribbean. As a standalone offer, this is pretty impressive but it gets even better if you can combine it with another offer that’s currently in play.
Spend $250 & Get $75 Back At Marriott
Get a one-time $75 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $250 USD on room rate and room charges for your stay at participating properties across the Marriott Bonvoy portfolio’s 30 hotel brands from 9/24/2020 to 12/31/2020.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties in the U.S. and U.S. territories, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Bonvoy App or by calling a Marriott reservations line.
- Excludes Marriott Vacation Club, Design Hotels, Protea Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, Homes & Villas by Marriott International, and Vistana Signature Experiences
- . Excludes gift card purchases.
- Not valid for online retail purchases, hotel amenities, or purchases of Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Qualifying purchase means a purchase at a participating Marriott property made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totalling at least $250 USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 12/31/2020, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
If you’re considering booking a trip within North America or the Caribbean before the end of the year this is an excellent offer to be targeted for. A $75 discount on $250 of spending is a fantastic 30% rebate and although a lot of people will no doubt exceed that spending target by some distance, someone taking the time to research prices and who’s not looking to book Marriott’s higher-end properties should be able to get very close to that level of rebate on a 1- or 2-night stay.
Before you book make sure you’ve read through all the terms and conditions carefully as there are a few things that could trip people up:
- Bookings at properties outside North America, the US Territories, and the Caribbean will not trigger this rebate.
- Bookings at Marriott Vacation Club properties and Design Hotel properties (and a few others) will not trigger this statement credit.
- The $250 spending requirement will have to be reached in one stay as there’s nothing in the terms and conditions to suggest that the $250 can be earned cumulatively across more than one stay.
- The Amex card to which you load this offer must be charged $250 (or more) by 31 December 2020 for this offer to be triggered so anyone booking a New Year trip should make note of this.
As far as the Amex credit cards go, hopefully you’ve had this offer targeted to a Marriott Bonvoy co-branded credit card like the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card or the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card with which you’ll earn 6 Bonvoy Points/dollar spent at whichever Marriott property you book.
If you haven’t been targeted for this offer on a Bonvoy co-branded credit card, another great option would be the Amex Green Card which will return 3 Membership Rewards Points/dollar on all travel spending and depending on how you value Membership Rewards Points and Bonvoy Points (and assuming you cannot make the most of the stacking opportunity I have outlined below), it may even offer you the better return.
Stack This With Another Amex Offer
American Express is running a number of other offers on its Bonvoy co-branded credit cards and if you can book a trip that ends before 31 October, one of these offers will stack very nicely with the one I’ve been discussing above.
Through 31 October 2020, American Express is offering 10 Marriott Bonvoy points/dollar on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels (up to $7,500 on eligible purchases)…
…so as I value Bonvoy Points at 0.6 cents each*, this represents an effective rebate of 6 cents per dollar or 6%. That’s a very good return all on its own but it’s even better if you’re also earning a $75 statement credit on the same stay.
*The value I know I can get out of each Bonvoy Point with minimal effort
American Express is currently targeting cardholders for $75 of savings when they spend a minimum of $250 at participating Marriott properties in North America and the Caribbean by 31 December 2020. With a vast array of properties to choose from this should be an easy offer to lock-in if you’re comfortable traveling right now.