Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has used a British Airways offer that has recently expired as a template to launch a new offer for transatlantic travel with Virgin Atlantic. Once again cardholders are being offered the chance to save $300 on select bookings and once again, the maximum rebate available is 15%.
Spend $2,000 and get $300 back with Virgin Atlantic
Get a one-time $300 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $2,000 in one or more purchases online at virginatlantic.com by 1/12/2024. Flight must originate in US and be charged in USD to qualify. .
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid for one way and round trip purchases made directly with Virgin Atlantic Airways, online at virginatlantic.com, or through the Virgin Atlantic Airways mobile app only.
- Flights must originate in the US.
- Valid only for purchases where Virgin Atlantic Airways is the merchant of record.
- Excludes desk ticket and call center bookings, in-flight purchases, luggage charges and meals.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 1/12/2024, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
The first bit of good news is that multiple purchases totaling $2,000 or more will trigger this offer so you don’t have to spend the whole amount in one transaction.
The second bit of good news is that cardholders have until 12 January 2024 to trigger this offer and that should be more than enough time to plan a trip.
The one key it of bad news is that the rebate is only available on trips originating in the United States and fares paid in USD (that rules out any cheap premium cabin fares originating in Europe).
Keep in mind that you don’t actually have to fly by 12 January 2024 to trigger this offer, you just have to have paid for your fare(s) by then – so this deal should cover flights into December 2024 so, I guess, that’s also a bit good news.
If you’re considering a Business Class booking, keep in mind that while it used to be hard to recommend Virgin Atlantic thanks to its appalling horse box style Business Class seats, a lot of the aircraft that it now operates now feature a considerably newer product (seen in this article’s featured image) which is what you should aim to book if possible.
Happily, I have this offer targeted to card_name which offers me 5 points/dollar on up to $500,000 of spending made directly with airlines or on flights booked through Amex Travel (1 point/dollar thereafter – terms apply) and for me, that represents a further rebate of 7.5%.
That’s probably enough of an incentive to prompt me to check if I can find any good deals for a trip next year.
For anyone who doesn’t have card_name, the next best card to see this targeted to would probably be the American Express® Green Card which offers 3 points/dollar on most travel purchases (terms apply), and if you don’t have one of those, card_name may be your last good option with the 2 points/dollar that it offers on up to $50,000 of spending every year (1 point/dollar thereafter – terms apply).
Note: All information about the American Express® Green Card has been collected independently by Traveling For Miles. The American Express® Green Card is not currently available through Traveling For Miles.
If you’re considering booking a transatlantic trip in the next couple of months (for travel as far into the future as December 2024), log into your Amex account and check to see if you have been targeted for an offer that would save you $300 on $2,000 of spending with Virgin Atlantic.