Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
While we’re very used to seeing various hotel offers appearing in our online Amex accounts, it’s not that often that we see a discount offered for Hotels.com spending so the offer that has just been targeted to a number of my American Express cards was a little unexpected…but very welcome.
Spend $50 & Get $10 Back On A Hotels.com Gift Card
Get a one-time $10 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $50 in one or more transactions online at hotels.com/giftcards by 11/30/2021.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only on physical or digital (eGift) Hotels.com gift cards purchased through US website hotels.com/giftcards.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Excludes Gift Registry, Corporate/Bulk gift cards and all other purchases on hotels.com. Only one gift card allowed per booking on Hotels.com.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- The enrolled Card account must not be cancelled or past due to receive statement credit.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 11/30/2021, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
Ok, so this isn’t an offer with an impressive headline number, but that doesn’t make it any less useful. Free cash is free cash and as the overwhelming majority of travelers should probably be using Hotels.com and its loyalty program rather than chasing status with the big hotel chains, this is an Amex offer that should be useful to a lot of readers.
I’m seeing this offer on all of my Membership Rewards cards (including my Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express) so it doesn’t look as if this offer is narrowly targeted.
Better yet, this isn’t the usual kind of hotel offer that we see Amex publishing in that it’s for a gift card and not for a hotel stay that has to be consumed by a given date – you can use this offer to buy a Hotels.com gift card today and sit on that gift card for as long as it takes you to use it (it won’t expire). That’s not necessarily a strategy that I’d advise people to adopt – it’s always a good idea to have a plan for whatever gift cards you buy – but it helps to illustrate just how flexible this offer is.
When it comes to deciding which card to load this offer to, make sure you choose wisely.
I’ve chosen to load the offer to my Blue Business Plus® card from American Express because it hasn’t been targeted to any of my other cards that offer a bonus for travel or hotel spending and the 2 points/dollar that the Blue Business Plus card offers (terms apply) is a better return than I’ll get on any other Amex card.
If you’ve been targeted for this offer, hopefully, you’ll have it available on a card like the Amex Green Card which will earn you, amongst other bonuses, 3 points/dollar on travel (terms apply) or, if you’re traveling for business, the American Express® Business Gold Card which can earn you up to 4 points per dollar (terms apply).
Note: All information about the American Express® Green Card has been collected independently by Traveling For Miles. The American Express® Green Card is not currently available through Traveling For Miles.
American Express is now targeting select cardholders for a $10 saving when they purchase a $50 gift card directly from Hotels.com. In the grand scheme of things this clearly isn’t a “mega-deal”, but this is a very easy offer to trigger and it’s a very easy offer to make the most of so it should be useful to quite a few people.