American Express has launched a new targeted offer that gives cardholders the chance to earn a $100 statement credit on rentals from SIXT at locations across the United States but cardholders should note that only online purchases will qualify for the credit.
Spend $800 With Amex FHR & Get $150 Back
Get a one-time $150 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $800 in one or more transactions on prepaid hotel bookings with Fine Hotels + Resorts and The Hotel Collection properties with American Express Travel by 7/1/2021.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued Consumer and Business Platinum and Centurion American Express Cards are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only for prepaid hotel bookings with Fine Hotels + Resorts and The Hotel Collection properties made directly with American Express Travel through amextravel.com, the Amex App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Card.
- Qualifying transactions must total a minimum of $800 by 7/1/2021, in accordance with these terms, to be eligible for a one-time $150 statement credit.
- Excludes car or cruise bookings, online chat transactions, flight bookings, flight+hotel packages, gift cards, travel insurance, and travelers’ cheques.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 7/1/2021, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions
If you can keep your spending down to as close to $800 as possible (without dropping under), this statement credit will represent a rebate of approximately 18%…and that’s pretty good.
What’s even better is the fact that the required spending doesn’t have to be completed in a single transaction so someone who’s only booking single night stays (that aren’t at ludicrously expensive properties) will have the opportunity to lock in the saving on offer.
There are a lot of points on offer here too. Both the Amex Platinum Card (review) and the Business Platinum Card (review) offer cardholders 5 points/dollar on prepaid hotel bookings made through Amex Travel so as I value Amex Points at 1.5 cents each, that means that there’s an added effective rebate of 7.5% on offer here.
If you have the consumer version of the Amex Platinum Card (review) don’t forget that you may still have up to $200 in Amex travel credits that select cardholders were given as a bonus in exchange for renewing their card membership for another year, and this would stack nicely with this offer to help make an expensive booking (or set of bookings) considerably more affordable.
One thing to keep in mind is that although this offer is valid for Amex FHR bookings and Amex Hotel Collection Bookings, of the two only Amex FHR bookings will usually see guests earn credits in a hotel’s rewards program and allow guests to make the most of any elite statuses they hold (Hotel Collection bookings are usually seen as 3rd party bookings by the major hotel chains and are therefore ineligible for elite status benefits or rewards earnings).
Amex is offering targeted cardholders a $150 statement credit for spending $800 in one or more transactions on Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts or Amex Hotel Collection bookings by 1 July 20201. The statement credit will only be triggered for prepaid bookings made by the specified cut-off date so make sure you don’t accidentally make a booking that will be settled at check-out.
Featured Image: Hotel Bel Air courtesy of Amex FHR