Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
We’ve known what the IHG One Rewards end-of-year (2023) promotion was going to look like for a few weeks, but registration for this promotion has only been open for a few hours.
Like all of the 4Q promotions that we’ve seen so far, this one isn’t going to get anyone particulalry excited, but if there is any chance that you may make one or more IHG stays before the end of the year, you should probably register now.
IHG’s 4Q 2023 promotion
- Register (here) by 31 December 2023
- Stay between 12 October and 31 December 2023
- Earn 2,000 bonus points for every 2 qualifying nights
Be aware that while you can leave it as late as 31 December to register, waiting that long would be pointless (for most people) as stays completed prior to registration will not qualify for the promotion.
- To participate in the “2,000 Points Every 2 Nights” Promotion, an individual must have an active, valid IHG One Rewards member account (sign up for free via this link) and must register for the promotion (here).
- Members can pre-register for this Promotion from 27 September 2023 to 11 October 2023.
- Members will be able to stay and earn IHG One Rewards bonus points under this promotion beginning 12 October 2023 and ending on 31 December 2023.
- Members who did not register during the Pre-Registration Period may register for the promotion during the promotion period.
- After registering for the promotion, a member can earn 2,000 bonus points for every two (2) qualifying room night stays during the promotion period.
- The time needed for awarding points can vary with each promotion, so please allow up to 6 weeks for any earned bonus points to be posted to the recipient’s account.
- To be a qualifying room night under the promotion, the room night must fall within the promotion period and must be part of a Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay.
- Room nights outside of the Promotion Period are not included, and room nights that are part of a stay that was completed prior to registration for the promotion also are not included.
- For purposes of the promotion, a “Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay” is defined as a minimum one (1) night stay at a participating hotel booked under a Qualifying Rate, with total spend exceeding US $30 (or local currency equivalent) for each night.
- Stays booked using Rewards Nights or Points & Cash are not Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stays for purposes of this promotion.
- Bookings made through on-line travel agencies or other reservation sites such as booking.com or expedia.com also do not qualify under this promotion.
- If more than one member who registered for the promotion checks into the same room, only one member is eligible to earn points under the promotion for those nights that qualify.
- If a member books more than one room on the same night, the member will receive credit towards this promotion for only one of the rooms that also meets the requirements of a qualifying room night under the promotion.
- The bonus points awarded through this promotion are not Elite status qualifying under the IHG One Rewards program.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page.
I value IHG One Rewards points at 0.4 cents each so for me, this promotion is offering an effective rebate of $8 for every two qualifying nights that I consume so, as I said in the opening paragraph, this isn’t a promotion that’s going to get anyone particularly excited.
Still, some bonus points are better than no bonus points and I guess we should be thankful that there’s no cap on earnings in this promotion (other than the natural cap set by the number of nights this promotion covers) and we should probably be thankful that IHG hasn’t said that a member’s first stay within the promotion period will not qualify. But those are small mercies.
Overall, I’d say this promotion is pretty weak, but it isn’t materially worse than what most of the other major players in the hotel loyalty world are currently offering.
Hilton’s end of year promotion for 2023 is looking strongest right now, but looking past that, it’s hard to really spilt what Marriott, Hyatt and IHG are offering between now and the end of the year as they’re all weak in their own ways.
I’ve signed up for all four of these hotel promotions (as should you) just in case I happen to trigger any of the bonuses through whatever bookings I make between now and the end of the year, but none of these promotions is tempting me to make any bookings that I wouldn’t have made already, and none of them is tempting me to change any bookings that I’ve already made.
The sad fact is that the major hotel chains are under no pressure to incentivize us to book any stays right now and that’s very clearly reflected in the promotions that we’re seeing published.
Registration for the latest IHG One Rewards global promotion opened today (here), but it’s unlikely to lead to a stampede of people looking to make new bookings.
Just as we’ve seen with the promotions from Marriott and Hyatt (and to a lesser extent, Hilton), very few people will earn a meaningful number of bonus points out of what IHG is offering right now so the best way to view this 4Q promotion is as a stepping stone to a future free night award rather than a promotion that’s likely to earn you a free night award all on its own.
Managing your expectations and keeping them real is probably the best policy when viewing any of the current 4Q hotel promotions.