Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
With Marriott’s year-end promotion going live tomorrow and with no sign that IHG intends to give us something to smile about any time soon, now seems like a good time for a quick recap of the promotions that Hyatt, Hilton, and Marriott are offering their loyalty program members through to the end of the year.
Marriott’s “Make a Brand New Bucket List” promotion
Earn up to 4,000 bonus points on each eligible stay, starting with your second stay.
Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card holders can earn an additional 2,000 bonus points for each eligible stay at a different hotel brand during the promotional period, starting with the stay at the second brand.
- Registration of your Marriott Bonvoy account is required (here).
- Marriott Bonvoy members who register for this promotion by December 1, 2022, will earn 2,000 bonus points per eligible paid stay, starting with the second stay during the promotion earning period.
- Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card holders will earn an additional 2,000 bonus points per eligible paid stay at a Marriott Bonvoy participating hotel brand, starting with the second brand at which the Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card holder stays during the promotion earning period.
- Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card holders will earn the additional 2,000 bonus points only once per participating Marriott Bonvoy hotel brand during the promotion earning period.
- The promotion earning period is for eligible paid stays completed between September 21, 2022, and December 15, 2022, at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties.
- Only stays completed after registration will qualify toward the promotion.
- A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any points-eligible rate (“Qualifying Rate”).
- Award redemption stays where points are redeemed for each night of the entire stay are not eligible for the promotion.
- Rates available through most third-party online retailers and select travel agency rates do not qualify for this promotion (“Non-Qualifying Rate”).
- Stays at Homes & Villas by Marriott International, Marriott Executive Apartments, and owner-occupied weeks at Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Regis Residence Club, and Luxury Collection Residence Club, are not eligible for bonus points for this promotion.
- Only one room per property is counted toward a member’s stay for the promotion.
- Bonuses of 2,000 points per eligible paid stay, starting with the second stay, will be awarded to the member’s account within 7 business days after checkout and will post with the stay.
- Additional bonus of 2,000 points per brand for Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card holders for stays at Marriott Bonvoy participating hotel brands, starting with the second brand, will be awarded to the member’s account up to 6 weeks after the promotion ends.
- A member who elects to earn miles is not eligible for this promotion.
Full terms and conditions can be found on Marriott’s promotion page
Hyatt’s Bonus Journeys promotion
Earn double points on qualifying stays of 2+ nights at 1,100+ hotels worldwide including participating MGM Resort destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World hotels, and Lindblad Expeditions.
All qualifying nights count double at 65+ participating Inclusive Collection resorts across Cancun, Curaçao, St. Martin, and more.
- Register for the promotion by 11:59 p.m. CST on November 15, 2022 (here)
- Only Eligible Stays completed after registration and between September 15, 2022 and December 20, 2022 (“Promotion Period”) will count towards this promotion.
- For the purpose of this promotion, an “Eligible Stay” is defined as any stay where a registered member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award.
- Beginning on your first Eligible Stay after registration and during the Promotion Period, you will receive double points per Eligible Stay of two (2) or more consecutive nights at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide, participating MGM Rewards destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World (“SLH”) properties, and Lindblad Expeditions.
- A maximum of 60,000 Bonus Points may be earned under this offer.
- All points awarded under this offer are Bonus Points. You will receive five (5) Bonus Points per eligible dollar spent on your Eligible Stay. This is in addition to the five (5) Base Points you will earn as your base earning.
- Any Bonus Points awarded based on tier status are not doubled under this offer.
- If a member chooses to earn Partner Loyalty Points or MGM Rewards tier credits, the bonus under this offer will still be awarded in World of Hyatt Bonus Points.
- Each Tier-Qualifying Night completed on Eligible Stays after registration and during the Promotion Period at participating Inclusive Collection properties during the Promotion Period will count as two (2) nights, instead of one (1), for the purpose of tier qualification for Discoverist, Explorist and Globalist status and towards benefits and awards that explicitly require a certain number of Tier-Qualifying Nights.
- The Inclusive Collection consists of the following brands: Hyatt Ziva, Hyatt Zilara, Zoetry Wellness Spa & Resorts, Secrets Resorts & Spas, Breathless Resorts & Spas, Dreams Resorts & Spas, Alua Hotels & Resorts, and Sunscape Resorts & Spas.
- For this offer, a property needs to be participating in World of Hyatt at the time of the member’s stay. Not all properties in these brands are participating in World of Hyatt at the start of the promotion. For more information, visit hyatt.com/new.
- For purposes of this promotion, consecutive nights at the same hotel constitute one stay (even if you check out and check back in).
- Only the room occupied by the member will count toward this promotion.
- You must provide your World of Hyatt membership number at the time of check in for each stay.
- Please allow two to four weeks after checkout for Bonus Points and Tier-Qualifying Night Credits to be posted to your World of Hyatt account.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Hyatt Bonus Journeys promotion page
Hilton’s “Double Your Stay” promotion
Earn double Points on all your stays, plus 2,000 Bonus Points when you check out between Monday and Friday from September 6 to December 31.
- Offer valid for stays completed September 6 – December 31, 2022 (“Promotion Period”) at any hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Hilton Honors members must first register at HiltonHonors.com/DoubleYourStay prior to completing a stay within the Promotion Period.
- Registered Hilton Honors members checking in before September 6, 2022 will receive Bonus Points for their stay if the stay is completed on or after September 6, 2022 and prior to or on December 31, 2022.
- Registered Hilton Honors members will earn Double Points per stay during the Promotion Period. “Double Points” means members will receive Bonus Points equal to the number of Base Points earned during a stay.
- Registered Hilton Honors members will earn an additional 2,000 Bonus Points for stays with a check-out between Monday through Friday.
- There is no limit to the total amount of Bonus Points that may be earned during the Promotion Period with this offer. However, there are restrictions on the number of Base Points that can be earned on a single stay at certain brands.
- Bonus Points do not count toward elite tier qualification.
- Please allow six to eight weeks from completion of your stay for Bonus Points to appear in your account.
- A ‘stay’ is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again.
- Offer is not valid for groups and cannot be combined with other select offers.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Hilton Double Your Stay promotion page
All three promotions require guests to register before they can earn any of the bonuses on offer so even if you don’t think you’ll be staying at a Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt property before the year-end, you should register just in case your plans suddenly change.
Be aware that Marriott continues to incorporate annoying rules with its promotions so you’ll only earn bonus points starting with your second stay during the promotion period. Hyatt has also chosen to introduce an annoying rule in its year-end promotion as only stays of 2 nights or more will earn bonus points. Of the three, Hilton seems to be the only one to have chosen not to be annoying and will pay out bonus points on all eligible stays.
Unusually, there’s a further negative aspect to the Hyatt promotion because the number of bonus points that you can earn is capped at 60,000… and that’s disappointing. Hilton and Marriott have not placed caps on their promotions.
I can’t get excited about Marriott’s promotion because 4,000 points/stay is a paltry offering that will have absolutely no bearing on what bookings I make in the run-up to the end of the year (I can’t remember the last time Marriott had an interesting promotion).
Hilton’s promotion is fine, but it’s not strong enough to get me to make any new bookings or to change any bookings that I have with other hotel chains. No doubt Hilton loyalists will be happy to earn double points on stays they probably would have made anyway, but I doubt many people are rushing out to book new trips just because double points are on offer.
Hyatt’s promotion is the most valuable of the three (to me) – I can never have too many Hyatt points – but that’s just an indictment of the other two deals because this promotion isn’t exactly setting the world alight. Yes, it’s nice to be offered double World of Hyatt points, but I have no plans to stay at an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean (so the double elite night offer is of no use to me), the 2-night minimum stay requirement is off-putting, and while I probably wouldn’t be able to earn more than 60,000 bonus points even if there was no cap in place, I can’t help but feel disappointed with Hyatt for limiting what guests can earn.
Put simply, I can’t say that I’m impressed with any of the three major promotions that are currently in progress so none of them will be changing my plans for the last weeks of the year.
Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton have all published promotions that are running for most of what is left of the year (Hilton’s promotion runs through the end of the year) and all three promotions require guests to register before they can earn whatever the promotions are offering. None of the promotions can be described as amazing, fantastic, or spectacular, but make sure you register nonetheless as some bonus points are still better than no bonus points at all.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott