Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Hyatt is still running a promotion that started last year, Hilton’s 1Q promotion launched at the start of the year, and Marriott’s 1Q promotion is on the way. The number of hoteliers who have yet to announce a promotion for 2021 is dropping and it dropped further earlier today when Choice Privileges announced its first big promotion of the year.
Choice’s ‘New Year, New Bonus’ Promotion
The promotion couldn’t be simpler:
- Register (here) before you check out of your first stay
- Book and stay between 18 January and 28 February 2021
- Earn double points on all stays
- A maximum of 30,000 bonus points can be earned in this promotion
Some of the key terms and conditions of this promotion include:
- Most stays are eligible to earn Choice Privileges points EXCEPT: rooms booked at rates below $40 USD per night, certain hotel-initiated promotions, reward night stays, complimentary rooms, rooms paid for as part of a convention or meeting, rooms booked through a travel agent or third-party online retailer including online travel agencies, wholesale packages, group tours, and stays booked using the employee discount or the friends and family discount.
- Stays at Choice Hotels properties in the following countries are excluded from this promotion: Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia.
- WoodSpring Suites hotels and Ascend Hotel Collection all-inclusive resorts, among others, are not participating.
- You must maintain an address in the U.S. (includes U.S. territories), Canada, Europe, Mexico, participating countries in Central America and the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, or Singapore to be eligible.
Please be aware that the “double points” that the promotion refers to are double base points so any bonus points that you earn courtesy of your Choice Privileges elite status will not be doubled.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page.
Ordinarily, Choice Privileges offers guests 10 base points per dollar spent at its properties (excluding any elite bonuses) so, following registration for this promotion, a Choice Privileges member will earn a total of 20 points per dollar (excluding elite bonuses).
As I value Choice Privilege points at around 0.7 cents each, eligible stays in this promotion will effectively earn guests a minimum rebate of 14 cents/dollar or 14%…and that’s not bad going.
It should be remembered, however, that this promotion places a 30,000 bonus point cap on earnings so, in monetary terms, that’s the same as a spending cap of $3,000. Any spending over that amount will not earn a bonus so the 14% minimum discount only applies to the first $3,000 of spending at Choice Properties.
I doubt this will be an issue for most but it’s worth bearing in mind if you’re planning a big trip.
Choice Privileges is offering double base points on all stays booked and completed between 18 January and 28 February 2021. There are a maximum of 30,000 bonus points available in this promotion but as guests are effectively guaranteed a minimum rebate of 14% this is still a promotion worth considering if you’re a fan of Choice properties.