Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
IHG One Rewards has announced its plans for its 2023 summer promotion and because coming up with new ideas can be hard, it has decided not to waste any time on innovation and, instead, has simply rebooted the promotion that it ran between September and December last year.
This is the historic Marriott Bonvoy approach to designing a promotion, although, admittedly, IHG’s summer 2023 promotion isn’t anywhere near as woefully inadequate as most promotions that Marriott has come up with in the past five years.
In short, if you liked the promotion last year, I can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t like it now, and if you hated it last time out, you’re probably going to hate it this time too.
IHG’s summer 2023 promotion
The rebooted promotion does exactly what it did last time around – it allows IHG One Rewards members to choose one (of two) offers as their summer 2023 bonus and to do that, members will have to work out how many nights they think they’ll spend at IHG properties through the end of the promotion period.
These are the two offers:
- Promotion 1 – Earn 2,000 bonus points every 2 nights (register here)
- Promotion 2 – Earn 10,000 bonus points every 4 nights (register here)
The promotion goes live on 6 June and runs through 31 August 2023.
- This promotional offer (the “Promotion”) gives IHG One Rewards members the opportunity to choose from one of two different options for earning extra IHG One Rewards bonus points.
- To participate in this Promotion, the individual must have an active valid IHG One Rewards account (join for free here).
- The member must first register their member number for one of two available offers: (1) the “Earn 2,000 Points Every 2 Nights” offer (the “2,000 Points Offer”); or (2) the “Earn 10,000 Points Every 4 Nights” offer (the “10,000 Points Offer”).
- If a member has registered for the 2,000 Points Offer, the member can earn 2,000 IHG One Rewards bonus points each time they complete two (2) Qualifying Nights during the Promotion Period (defined below).
- If a member has registered for the 10,000 Points Offer, the member can earn 10,000 IHG One Rewards bonus points each time they complete four (4) Qualifying Nights during the Promotion Period.
- A member can only register for one of these two Offers, and once a member has registered for one of them, the member is only eligible for that Offer and cannot register for the other Offer or receive any points under the other Offer.
- The “Promotion Period” is from 6 June 2023, through 31 August 2023 and registration is now open (here)
- To be a “Qualifying Room Night” under the Promotion, the room night must fall within the Promotion Period and must be part of a Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay.
- As stated, the “Promotion Period” is from June 6, 2023 through August 31, 2023. Room nights outside of the Promotion Period are not included, and room nights that are part of a stay that was completed prior to registration for the Promotion also are not included.
- For the purposes of this Promotion, “Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay” is defined as a minimum 1-night stay at a participating hotel booked under a Qualifying Rate, with a total spend exceeding $30 USD (or local equivalent) for each night.
- Participating hotels include all IHG® Hotels & Resorts and Mr and Mrs Smith properties, with the exception of those Six Senses® Hotels, Resorts & Spas that do not participate in IHG One Rewards. Iberostar Beachfront Resorts that are not yet fully integrated into the IHG One Rewards program also do not participate in this Promotion.
- Stays booked using Rewards Nights or Points & Cash are not Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stays for purposes of this Promotion. Bookings made through on-line travel agencies or other reservation sites such as booking.com or expedia.com also do not qualify under this Promotion.
- If more than one member who registered for the Promotion checks into the same room, only one member is eligible to earn points under the Promotion for those nights that qualify.
- If a member books more than one room on the same night, the member will receive credit towards this Promotion for only one of the rooms that also meets the requirements of a Qualifying Room Night.
- The time needed for awarding points can vary with each promotion, so please allow up to 6 weeks for the bonus points to be posted to the recipient’s member account. I
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page – please read them carefully.
Effectively, promotion 1 is offering 1,000 bonus points/night while promotion 2 is offering 2,500 points per night so unless you think that you’re not going to stay more than 3 paid nights at IHG properties during the promotion period, promotion 2 is the one you should be registering for.
Keep in mind that IHG One reward night bookings will not count towards this promotion (only select cash rates will qualify for bonus points) so do not factor those in when working out which promotion will work best for you.
As far as the value on offer goes…
I value IHG One Rewards points at 0.4 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them with relative ease) so, effectively, I’m being offered the choice of a $4 rebate every night or a $10 rebate every night so neither deal is massively exciting.
It is, however, worth remembering that when viewed alongside all the other earnings that IHG One Rewards members can enjoy, the overall package can be pretty good.
Here’s an example of what I mean:
Keeping in mind that…
- IHG One Rewards members earn 10 points/dollar on spending made at most IHG properties (stays at Candlewood Suites and Staybridge Suites only earn 5 points/dollar)
- IHG elites earn bonuses of 20%, 40%, 60%, and 100% (Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond) on top of these earnings.
- Holders of the IHG® Rewards Premier credit card (review) earn a further 10 points/dollar on all IHG spending
…this is what a Platinum Elite member* using the IHG® Rewards Premier credit card can earn when spending 8 nights at Holiday Inn properties (during the promotion period) when spending $150/night.
- 20,000 bonus points from the year-end promotion
- 12,000 base points from $1,200 of spending (8 x $150)
- 7,200 elite bonus points (60% of 12,000)
- 12,000 bonus points from spending put on the IHG® Rewards Premier credit card
That gives us a total of 51,200 points which I value at ~$205. That’s an effective return of 17% and that’s a rebate that’s clearly worth having.
*I’ve chosen a Platinum Elite member because Platinum status is given to everyone who holds the IHG® Rewards Premier credit card.
IHG One Rewards is offering its members a choice of two promotions in summer 2023 but unless you know that you’re unlikely to spend more than 3 paid nights at IHG properties during the promotion period, there’s really only one promotion you should be choosing – the second one.
Don’t forget to register (here) as soon as you have a spare moment as stays consumed before registration will not count towards the promotion even if they take place during the promotion period.