Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has published a new targeted offer that’s similar to an offer we saw launched in February and which will probably be of interest to anyone planning a Marriott stay in the next couple of months. This latest offer is valid through 31 July and could save you up to 20% on your next Marriott stay.
Spend $200 & Get $40 Back At Marriott
Get a one-time $40 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $200 USD on room rate and room charges, when you pay for your stay at participating properties across the Marriott Bonvoy® portfolio’s 30 hotel brands from 5/24/2021 to 7/31/2021.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties in the U.S. and U.S. territories, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Bonvoy App, or by calling 1-888-236-2427.
- Excludes Marriott Vacation Club, Design Hotels, Protea Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, Homes & Villas by Marriott International, and Vistana Signature Experiences.
- Excludes gift card purchases.
- Not valid for online retail purchases, hotel amenities, or purchases of Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Qualifying purchase means a purchase at a participating Marriott property made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totaling at least $200 USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Card Member Agreement.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
If you’re considering booking a trip within North America or the Caribbean before the end of July this is a decent offer to be targeted for. A $40 discount on $200 of spending is a solid 20% rebate and although a lot of people will no doubt exceed that spending target by some distance, someone taking the time to research prices and who’s not looking to book Marriott’s higher-end properties should be able to get very close to that level of rebate.
Before you book make sure you’ve read through all the terms and conditions carefully as there are a few things that could trip people up:
- Bookings at properties outside North America, the US Territories, and the Caribbean will not trigger this rebate.
- Bookings at Marriott Vacation Club properties and Design Hotel properties (and a few others) will not trigger this statement credit.
- The $200 spending requirement will have to be reached in one stay as there’s nothing in the terms and conditions to suggest that the $200 can be earned cumulatively across more than one stay.
- The Amex card to which you load this offer must be charged $200 (or more) by 31 July 2021 for this offer to be triggered.
As far as the Amex credit cards go, hopefully, you’ve had this offer targeted to a Marriott Bonvoy co-branded credit card like the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card (review) or the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card (review) with which you’ll earn 6 Bonvoy Points/dollar spent at whichever Marriott property you book.
If you haven’t been targeted for this offer on a Bonvoy co-branded credit card, another great option would be the Amex Green Card which will return 3 Membership Rewards Points/dollar on all travel spending and depending on how you value Membership Rewards Points and Bonvoy Points (and assuming you cannot make the most of the stacking opportunity I have outlined below), it may even offer you the better return.
Personally, I don’t have this offer on my Marriott co-branded Amex card but I am seeing it targeted to three of my other Amex cards so this doesn’t appear to be a narrowly targeted offer.
American Express is currently targeting cardholders for $40 of savings when they spend a minimum of $200 at participating Marriott properties in North America and the Caribbean by 31 July 2021. With a vast array of properties to choose from this should be an easy offer to lock in if you’re comfortable traveling right now.