Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has just updated the welcome bonus that it’s offering on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card (review) and not only has Amex increased the number of bonus points that the card is offering, but it’s also added in a very easy statement credit to earn.
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card (review) costs $450/year to hold and offers cardholders a combination of credits towards Marriott Bonvoy elite status, a great earning rate at Marriott properties worldwide, an annual free night that no other widely available Marriott card offers, a Marriott stay credit that helps cardholders offset most of the annual fee, and travel benefits that make can make trips considerably less stressful and noticeably more enjoyable. In short, it’s the best Marriott co-branded card for a Marriott fan to hold.
New Welcome Bonus
- 125,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points after a successful new applicant spends $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months (find out more).
- Earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. Restaurants within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
The $200 in statement credits on offer for spending at US restaurants should be a simple one for most cardholders to earn (especially as Amex is giving cardholders 6 months in which to earn the credit) so, effectively, this reduces the card’s net annual fee to $250 in the first year of card membership.
As far as the bonus points go, the 125,000 points the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card is currently offering are worth $750 based on my valuation of Marriott Bonvoy Points (0.6 cents each) but more importantly, they’re more than enough to get a cardholder up to two free nights at some truly excellent Bonvoy properties around the world.
Note: Make sure you check the eligibility criteria for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card before you apply (you’ll find them at the end of this post).
Card Earning Rates
- 6 points/dollar on spending made with Marriott*
- 3 points/dollar on dining at U.S. restaurants (includes takeout and delivery)
- 3 points/dollar on flights booked directly with airlines
- 2 points/dollar for spending in all other categories
*No Marriott Bonvoy credit card offers a better earning rate at Marriott properties.
If you’ve been considering getting the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card now may be a very good time to apply.
Between the $200 US restaurant credit that the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card is currently offering via its welcome bonus and the $300 Marriott statement credit that the card offers cardholders every year, anyone getting the Brilliant Card right now is effectively being offered $50 in profit in year 1 just to try it out.
Alongside that $50 profit, this is what else everyone currently getting approved for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card will get in their first year:
- A free night award valid at properties costing up to 50,000 points/night
- A $100 Marriott Bonvoy property credit valid on 2-night bookings at Ritz-Carlton or St Regis properties
- 15 elite night credits
- Priority Pass Select Membership
- Global Entry or TSA Precheck membership credit
The free night alone should be worth at least $200 so even if a new cardholder doesn’t get to use the property credit, the Priority Pass membership, or the Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit, they will still be better off than they were before they got the card…and that’s a very nice position to be in.
Are You Eligible For The Welcome Offer?
Current or past holders of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card or the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card are not eligible for the welcome offer.
The welcome offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had the following cards in the past 30 days:
- The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card from JPMorgan
- The J.P. Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card
Likewise, the welcome offer is not available to applicants who have acquired any of the following cards in the past 90 days or who have received a new Card Member bonus or upgrade offer for any of these cards in the past 24 months:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card (review)
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold credit card (review)
- Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier Credit Card from Chase
- Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase
- Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase
Make sure you check these restrictions carefully before submitting an application.