Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Miles & More, the loyalty program of Lufthansa Group airlines, has announced a couple of promotions that are aimed at keeping flyers happy and on track to earn/retain status for another year.
Miles & More Double Status Miles Promotion
The promotion does exactly what the eye-catching headline says and couldn’t be more simple – all flights flown with Lufthansa Group airlines and select partner airlines will earn elite Miles & More members double elite status miles for the rest of the year. Also, this promotion is being backdated to 1 January 2021 so any elites who have flown with a qualifying airline this year and credited their flights to Miles & More will have their status miles doubled.
In addition, First and Business Class flights flown with Lufthansa Group airlines and select partner airlines will now earn all status members double HON Circle miles for the first time.
The promotion is valid on all Lufthansa Group flights operated by:
- Austrian Airlines
- Lufthansa and Lufthansa Private Jet
- Brussels Airlines
- Air Dolomiti
- Edelweiss Air
It also applies to flights operated by the following partner airlines on which status miles and HON Circle miles are awarded:
- Croatia Airlines
- LOT Polish Airlines
Note: The promotion clearly refers to members with Frequent Traveller status or higher in all the literature so it would appear as if entry-level members of the Miles & More program are not going to be able to earn double status miles.
Earn Status Miles With Your Miles & More Credit Card
When I first saw the press release for this promotion I got the impression that it only applies to Miles and More credit cards issued in the home countries of the Lufthansa Group airlines. That impression was incorrect.
Miles & More elites (frequent flyers with Frequent Traveller or Senator Status) with a Miles & More credit card issued in a wide variety of countries (including the US and the UK) can now earn bonus status miles with their credit card.
- Frequent flyers with Frequent Traveller or Senator Status can now earn additional status miles with their Miles & More Credit Card. These will be based on credit card statements within the promotional period from 1.1. to 31.12.2021.
- Status miles earned in 2021 with a credit card will be taken into account for re-qualification as a Frequent Traveller and Senator and qualification as a Senator.
- All Frequent Travellers and Senators who hold a Miles & More Credit Card will also receive a one-off credit of 5,000 status miles. If you don’t yet have a credit card, you will also receive a one-off credit of 5,000 status miles if you successfully apply for a new credit card. These status miles will be shown automatically in your Miles & More mileage account.
- Each cardholder can earn a maximum of 30,000 status miles during the promotion.
- Select miles will not be awarded for status miles earned with a Miles & More Credit Card.
The number of bonus status miles that each Miles & More credit card is offering will vary according to the country of issue (more details here) but here are a few examples:
- USA – Miles & More Mastercard from Barclays – 2 status miles/USD
- UK – Miles & More Mastercard & Diners Card – 2 status miles/GBP
- Euro-based Miles & More credit cards – 2 status miles/EUR
With a maximum of 30,000 status miles available from credit card spending, the spending cap in place for this offer is $15,000/£15,000/€15,000.
In 2021, all Miles & More elite status holders will earn double elite status miles on flights taken with Lufthansa Group airlines and select partner airlines. Elites will also earn double Hon Circle miles for eligible bookings in First and Business Class and status holders with Miles & More credit cards issued in over twenty countries can earn up to 30,000 status miles from spending on their cards.