Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
Hyatt seems to offer a lot fewer promotions then the other major hotel chains and that’s always seemed strange to me when you consider that you’d expect Hyatt, with its relatively small footprint, to have to work harder to earn traveler loyalty.
Still, every now and again Hyatt throws us a bone and right now there’s an interesting promotion on through 15 May.
Hyatt’s “Earn Points Faster. Enjoy Them Sooner” Promotion
- Guests must register by 31 March 2019 (link)
- Earn 1,000 Bonus Points per qualifying night at 800+ Hyatt hotels, participating M life Rewards destinations and participating Small Luxury Hotels of the World hotels
- Earn an additional 500 Bonus Points per qualifying night when those nights are at Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotels
- The first stay will not earn any points – bonus points are earned from the second stay onwards
- A maximum of 50,000 bonus points can be earned from stays at non Hyatt Place/Hyatt house properties
- A maximum of 25,000 extra bonus points can be earned from stays at Hyatt Place/Hyatt house properties
- Award bookings will count in this promotion
- Only the room occupied by the Member will count toward this promotion (so multiple rooms booked during the same stay will not earn more points)
There’s good and bad in here – the fact that bonus points aren’t earned on the first say during the promotion period is annoying while the fact that award stays count towards this promotion is good news.
I value Hyatt points at 1.4 cents each so the total bonus you can earn at Hyatt Place/Hyatt House properties is worth $21/night while the bonus you can earn at all other participating properties is worth $14/night.
The total potential bonus earnings in this promotion is 75,000 points which I value at $1,050…but you’ll have to be a serious road warrior to earn that.
The good news here is that the promotion can be as good for guests making a few long stays as it is for those spending the same number of nights on short stays….but anyone making a few long stays should make sure they build in a cheap 1-night stay as soon as possible to get the non-qualifying first stay out of the way.
It’s not a ‘fantastic’ or ‘amazing’ promotion but I like it nonetheless. There isn’t much here that penalizes any one type of traveler, bonus Hyatt points are always nice to earn and the earning rates are pretty good too….especially if you can lock in a few cheaper deals at Hyatt Place/Hyatt House properties.
I have a few stays that I need to book for trips in April and, in the absence of any kind of meaningful promotion from Marriott, I’m tempted to throw a few nights Hyatt’s way just to top up my World of Hyatt balance – if nothing else it will save me some Chase Ultimate Rewards points that I will have to transfer in for a trip I’m planning later in the year.