Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Hyatt has finally announced the details of its next Bonus Journeys global promotion which, unfortunately, won’t go live until next year even though registration for the promotion is now open. As with a number of previous Hyatt promotions, there’s an extra bonus available for holders of Hyatt co-branded credit cards but I’ll warn you right now that anyone expecting a repeat of what we saw in previous promotions will almost certainly be disappointed.
- The promotion will be live between 15 January and 20 April 2022.
- Earn 2,022 Bonus Points for every two qualifying nights at over 1,000 locations worldwide after registration (here).
- Bonus points can be earned on up to 20 nights.
- Holders of the World of Hyatt Credit Card (review) and the World of Hyatt Business Credit Card can earn an additional 1,000 Bonus Points per eligible stay, after registration, on up to 10 stays during the promotion period, at 180+ participating hotels across 10 U.S. cities.
- Eligible nights do not need to be consecutive to qualify for earning Bonus Points during the promotion period, for stays at over 1,000 locations worldwide.
- You must be a member of World of Hyatt in good standing and register for the promotion between December 8, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. CST and March 15, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. CST to participate.
- Only Eligible Nights completed after registration and between January 15, 2022, and April 20, 2022 (“Promotion Period”) will count towards this promotion.
- Eligible nights must be on stays completed by April 20, 2022.
- Beginning on your first eligible stay after registration during the Promotion Period, you will receive 2,022 Bonus Points for every 2 Eligible Nights at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide and participating M life Rewards destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World (“SLH”) properties, and Lindblad Expeditions.
- A maximum of 20,220 Bonus Points may be earned under this promotion.
- World of Hyatt Consumer and Business Credit Card Bonus:
- Beginning on your first eligible stay after registration during the Promotion Period, World of Hyatt Credit Cardmembers will receive 1,000 Bonus Points for every eligible stay during the Promotion Period at select Hyatt hotels in 10 U.S. cities only.
- Eligible stays must include at least one night during the Promotion Period and must be completed during the Promotion Period.
- For a list of hotels participating in the World of Hyatt Consumer and Business Credit Card Bonus offer, please click here.
- A maximum of 10,000 Bonus Points may be earned under this World of Hyatt Consumer and Business Credit Card Bonus offer.
- All points awarded under this promotion and bonus offer are Bonus Points.
- For the purpose of this promotion and bonus offer, an “Eligible Night” is defined as any night where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award.
- For purposes of this promotion and bonus offer, consecutive nights at the same hotel constitute one stay (even if you check out and check back in).
- Only the room occupied by the member will count toward this promotion and bonus offer.
- Please allow two to three weeks after check out for Bonus Points to be posted to your World of Hyatt account.
- Promotion and bonus offer are not valid at hotels that do not participate in World of Hyatt at the time of your stay. Please note that, as of December 1, 2021, properties operating under Apple Leisure Group’s AMR Collection brands do not participate in World of Hyatt.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page.
What a colossal disappointment. Yes, it’s nice that award stays will count for the purposes of this promotion, and it’s good to see that the first stay during the promotion period isn’t excluded, but the various limitations that have been placed on the latest Bonus Journeys promotion are very disappointing.
For anyone without one of the Hyatt co-branded credit cards, the maximum number of bonus points available in this promotion is just 20,220 and that’s only just enough points for a 1-night stay at a Category 5 property during standard season. Considering that a World of Hyatt member will have to consume at least 20 nights at participating Hyatt properties to earn those points, I don’t see this getting many people excited.
For reference, the last Hyatt Bonus Journeys promotion before the pandemic offered up to 200,000 bonus points and the Bonus Journeys promotion that ended in September offered up to 120,000 bonus points so those two data points should give you some idea of why this latest offering isn’t really impressing me very much.
If you’re fortunate enough to hold the World of Hyatt Credit Card (review) or the World of Hyatt Business Credit Card there are a further 10,000 bonus points on offer but, before anyone gets too excited about this, keep in mind that these points can only be earned from stays made at properties in the following 10 US cities:
- Los Angeles
- New York
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The list of participating hotels can be found here.
Admittedly, being able to earn these 10,000 bonus points is better than not being able to earn them but this is hardly a generous move by Hyatt. Why exclude Hyatt properties in Hawaii? Why exclude US Hyatt properties outside of the 10 participating cities? Why exclude Hyatt properties outside of the US?
Effectively, a World of Hyatt member cannot earn more than 30,220 bonus points in the latest Bonus Journeys promotion and unless a member happens to be booking a lot of 1-night stays at properties in the ten chosen US cities, it will take more than 20 nights to earn all of those points. For some members, it will take a lot more.
Other Hyatt promotions
While the upcoming Bonus Journeys promotion doesn’t look particularly rewarding, stacking it with some of the promotions that Hyatt has already published can make the overall take-home a little better.
Here are some of the other promotions Hyatt is currently running (not all will coincide with the new Bonus Journeys promotion):
- Save up to 15% at Hyatt properties worldwide (discounts valid on member rates) – book by 21 December 2021 for stays through 30 April 2022.
- Double Tier-Qualifying nights at Andaz properties for Hyatt credit card holders – valid on stays with a checkout date of 23 December 2021 or earlier.
- Earn 1,000 AAdvantage Miles per stay with Hyatt this winter (USA only) – register by 15 December and valid on stays through 31 January 2022.
- Targeted Hyatt promotion 1: Earn up to 150,000 bonus points – valid on nights consumed by 14 January 2022.
- Targeted Hyatt promotion 2: Earn up to 50,000 bonus points – valid on nights consumed by 14 January 2022.
- Earn 500 bonus points at new Hyatt properties – this is an ongoing promotion with no end date.
It’s also worth keeping in mind that Hyatt has extended its ‘work from Hyatt’ packages through 11 December 2022 and while the deals available now aren’t as great as some that we saw when the promotion first launched, good savings can still be made.
We’ve been waiting for a new Hyatt global promotion since the middle of September so with a 4-month gap between promotions, I was really hoping that we’d see Hyatt come up with something to excite its fan base. Sadly, that doesn’t appear to have happened and because of how this new Bonus Journeys promotion has been structured, it’s unlikely to encourage many people to change their plans or to book new stays.
What do you think of the latest Hyatt Bonus Journeys promotion?