Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Southwest is currently running a number of promotions to celebrate its 50th Birthday but the one that’s way out ahead of all the rest is the promotion launched today that offers flyers 50% off flights taken this fall. Unsurprisingly for a promotion as generous as this one, the 50% discount offer is only available for bookings made in the next few days but with award bookings qualifying for the discount as well as cash bookings, this is definitely a great opportunity to make some significant savings.
Southwest’s 50% Off Sale
- Enter promotion code SAVE50 in the Promo Code box when booking to save 50% off the base fare (discount applied before government taxes and fees).
- The 50 percent promotion code is valid for one-way or round trip Wanna Get Away, Anytime, and Business Select fares.
- Book on Southwest.com or swabiz.com from June 15 through June 17, 2021.
- Fly between September 15 – November 3, 2021 (“Promotion Period”) and is applied before government taxes and fees.
- Offer is valid for domestic and international travel.
- While selecting your flights, the discount will be visible as a strike-through of the original base fare.
- After selecting your flights, savings are reflected in the base fare when entering the multiuse promotion code SAVE50 in the Promo Code box on Southwest.com and swabiz.com.
- Discount is valid on new reservations only.
- Discount will apply only for flights booked within the Promotion Period.
- If one direction of the trip is outside the Promotion Period and one is within the Promotion Period, only the portion of travel falling within the Promotion Period will be discounted.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the Southwest website.
I’ve been using Southwest’s “low fare finder” tool to search for deals and it didn’t take me long to find some amazing deals…especially for trips between the West Coast and Hawaii.
Here’s an example of a roundtrip flight between Long Beach and Maui in October for just $183…
…and the same flights available for just 11,202 points + taxes roundtrip:
Here’s Oakland to Kona (and back) for just $200.50…
…or just 12,654 points + taxes and fees:
And here’s Los Angeles (LAX) to Kauai (and back) for just $202.99…
Elsewhere you’ll find one-way fares between Dallas and New York as low as $32…
…fares between Chicago (MDW) and Miami as low as $52 one-way…
…and fares between Miami and Los Angeles from an incredible $49 one-way:
On just about every route that I checked, there were some truly amazing fares to be booked, and the fact that the huge savings apply to both cash fares and award bookings is fantastic news. The even better news is that the discount applies to Business Select, Anytime or Wanna Get Away fares so the choices on offer are incredible.
I have to confess that while I thought we’d see some kind of sale from Southwest as it celebrated its 50th birthday, I never expected to see a sale as good as this one – if people weren’t already flying around the US like the pandemic was a thing of the past, this sale would have taken care of that!
Southwest is currently celebrating its 50th birthday in style by offering 50% of cash and award fares booked through 17 June (Thursday) for travel between 15 September and 3 November 2021. The best deals on peak flying days won’t hang around for long so if you see a fare and dates that work well for you don’t procrastinate for too long – book now and then make the most of Southwest’s fantastic cancellation policy if you have to.