Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
Hilton is the first of the major hotel chains to announce a promotion for the first few months of 2019 and it’s offering guests the opportunity to earn extra points on every stay and yet more points for multiple stays/nights.
Hilton’s Points Unlimited Promotion
- Offer valid for stays completed January 4, 2019, through May 5, 2019
- Offer valid at any hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio excluding Hampton by Hilton Hotels in Mainland China.
- Hilton Honors™ members must first register at HiltonHonors.com/PointsUnlimited prior to completing a stay within the Promotion Period.
- Registered Hilton Honors members will only receive Bonus Points for nights completed during the Promotion Period, regardless of a check-in date before the Promotion Period begins or a check-out date after the Promotion Period ends.
- Registered Hilton Honors members will earn 2,000 Bonus Points per stay during the Promotion Period, as well as an additional 10,000 Bonus Points for every 5th stay completed or every 10th night completed, whichever comes first.
- There is no limit to the total amount of Bonus Points that may be earned during the Promotion Period with this offer, and the 10,000 Bonus Points award can be earned an unlimited number of times.
- Each time a member achieves 5 stays or 10 nights, 10,000 Bonus Points will be awarded and the member’s stay/night count will reset.
- Additional nights earned over the 10 night threshold in a stay will count towards achieving the member’s next 10,000 Bonus Point award.
I value Hilton Honors points at no more than 0.5 cents each so a 2,000 point bonus is the equivalent to a $10 rebate on each stay….which isn’t exactly wow-ing me.
5 stays (which can be just 5 separate nights) will earn a 10,000 point bonus on top of the 2,000 points earned on each of the stays for a total of 20,000 points which, based on my valuation, is the equivalent of a $100 rebate.
That’s a lot more interesting.
This is a promotion that’s going to be a lot more lucrative for guests making numerous short stays rather than a few longer stays and here’s the math to prove it.
Guest 1 makes 4 stays of 5 nights each during the promotion period for a total of 20 nights and will earn the following bonuses:
- 8,000 points from the 4 stays
- 20,000 points from the 20 nights
The 28,000 points earned is essentially the same as a $140 rebate
Guest 2 makes 6 one night stays and 7 two night stays during the promotion period for a total of 20 nights. This is what his/her bonuses look like:
- 12,000 points from the one night stays
- 14,000 points from the two night stays
- 20,000 points for making more than 10 (but less than 15) stays
Guest 2 spent the same number of nights at Hilton properties as Guest 1 but earned 46,000 points (equivalent to a $230 rebate) instead of 28,000 – that’s 64% more in earnings.
As hotel promotions go this isn’t a bad one but it will be guests who make numerous short stays who will walk away with the better deal.
Travelers who spend longer periods at one property are definitely penalised by this promotion (a traveler spending 9 nights at a single property in one stay will earn just 2,000 bonus points while a traveler spending 5 individual nights at different properties will earn 20,000 bonus points) so this isn’t a promotion that’s going to appeal to everyone…but there’s definitely potential to boost your Hilton Honors balance here.
Don’t forget to register (via this page) before you make any Hilton stays or you’ll find that you’re not eligible for any of the promotional bonuses.