Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
In a climate in which online shopping has never been more relevant, it’s always good to see good offers for savings at major stores and retailers. It’s even better to see a great offer appear for spending at the biggest online retailer of them all – Amazon – and that’s exactly what Amex has now published.
Earn Bonus Membership Rewards Points At Amazon
Get 8 additional Membership Rewards points for each dollar spent on eligible purchases made using your enrolled Card online at Amazon.com by 12/31/2020. Limit of 3,000 Membership Rewards points.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer valid only for purchases made at Amazon.com and via the US Amazon mobile app using your enrolled American Express Card after enrollment and prior to 12/31/2020.
- Excludes corporate gift card and custom-designed gift card purchases.
- Not valid at international sites owned and/or operated by Amazon or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon.com.
- Offer not valid for Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, or Amazon Drive.
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the additional points. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the additional Membership Rewards points if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party.
- You will receive 8 additional Membership Rewards points per eligible dollar spent using your enrolled American Express Card in accordance with the terms of this offer.
- Limit of 3,000 additional Membership Rewards points per Card Member.
- Any additional points you receive through this offer are in addition to the points you would normally receive for purchases charged to your Card, but the number of additional points you receive will be based on the purchase price after any credit or other discount is applied.
- Additional points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 90 days after 12/31/2020, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the targeted offer.
This is a targeted offer so it may be that not all cardholders will be fortunate enough to find it in their accounts but, as I’m seeing the offer on all of my Membership Rewards cards (including my Blue Business Plus Credit Card), it doesn’t look as if the targeting is particularly narrow.
Considering the variety of items you can buy through Amazon and considering we’re only a week away from Black Friday this is a very nice offer to be targeted for. Also, it’s an offer that most people should be able to max-out quite easily given that we have until the end of the year to complete the necessary spending ($375).
The total number of point you’ll earn by using this offer will depend on the Membership Rewards card to which you load the offer:
- Blue Business Plus Credit Card will earn 10 points/dollar*
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card will earn 6.5 points/dollar**
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card will earn 6.2 points/dollar***
- All other Membership Rewards Cards will earn 6 points/dollar
*This card earns 2 points/dollar on all spending up to $50,000/year.
**Assuming a cardholder also makes 30 transactions in each billing cycle the card is used for this offer.
***Assuming a cardholder also makes 20 transactions in each billing cycle the card is used for this offer.
As far as I can see, there’s no reason to think that Amazon gift card purchases and reloads will not trigger this offer as the terms and conditions only rule out corporate gift cards and custom-designed gift cards – this should make it even easier to max-out this offer.
I value Membership Rewards points at 1.5 cents each (based on the value I know that I can get out of them with limited effort) so the bonus points on offer here are the equivalent to a 12% rebate. If you factor in that rebate on top of the savings we should be able to make in the upcoming Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, the holiday spending season just got a little bit cheaper 😁.
American Express is currently targeting cardholders with an offer of 8 bonus points per dollar spent through Amazon.com. Cardholders should choose which of their targeted cards they load the offer with care to as some cards will offer a better return than others.