Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express is running a new targeted offer for spending at Amazon and while it’s not quite as good an offer as the last Amazon offer that Amex launched, it should still be a tempting and easy to max-out offer for quite a few people.
Earn bonus Membership Rewards Points at Amazon
Get 5 additional Membership Rewards points for each dollar spent on eligible purchases made using your enrolled Card online at Amazon.com by 8/19/2022. Limit of 1,500 Membership Rewards points.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards that are enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of purchase are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer valid only for purchases made at Amazon.com and via the US Amazon mobile app using your enrolled eligible American Express Card after enrollment and prior to 8/19/2022.
- Excludes corporate gift card and custom-designed gift card purchases.
- Not valid at international sites owned and/or operated by Amazon or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon.com. Offer not valid for Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, or Amazon Drive.
- You will receive 5 additional Membership Rewards points per eligible dollar spent using your enrolled American Express Card in accordance with the terms of this offer. Limit of 1,500 additional Membership Rewards points per Card Member.
- The enrolled Card account must be active, not be past due, canceled or have a returned payment outstanding to receive the additional Membership Rewards points.
- Any additional points you receive through this offer are in addition to the points you would normally receive for purchases charged to your Card, but the number of additional points you receive will be based on the purchase price after any credit or other discount is applied.
- Additional points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 90 days after 8/19/2022, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the targeted offer.
The last Amazon offer that I recall Amex publishing was for 5 bonus points per dollar for a maximum of 2,500 points so this offer isn’t quite as lucrative as the last one.
On a more positive note, the last Amex Amazon offer appeared to be targeted to consumer cards only while this offer is being targeted to holders of consumer and business cards issued By American Express. My Platinum Card® from American Express has been targeted for this offer as has my Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
The total number of points/dollar you’ll earn by using this offer will depend on the Membership Rewards card to which you load the offer but all targeted cardholders can only earn 1,500 bonus points.
- Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express will earn 7 points/dollar
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card will earn up to 6.5 points/dollar**
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card will earn up to 6.2 points/dollar***
- All other consumer Membership Rewards Cards will earn 6 points/dollar.
**Assuming a cardholder also makes 30 transactions in each billing cycle the card is used for this offer (terms apply)
***Assuming a cardholder also makes 20 transactions in each billing cycle the card is used for this offer (terms apply)
As far as I can see, there’s no reason to think that Amazon gift card purchases and reloads will not trigger this offer as the terms and conditions only rule out corporate gift cards and custom-designed gift cards so that should make it even easier to make sure that you don’t leave any points behind.
I value Membership Rewards points at 1.5 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them with limited effort) so as I’ve loaded this offer to my Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, the 7 points/dollar on offer to me (on up to $300 of spending) will net me a return of $22.50 (7.5%).
Considering that I’ll trigger the full bonus without spending any money that I wouldn’t otherwise be spending (I do a lot of shopping through Amazon), that’s a pretty nice deal.
American Express is currently targeting cardholders with an offer of 5 bonus points per dollar spent through Amazon.com with a maximum of 1,500 bonus points on offer. Cardholders should choose which of their targeted cards they load the offer with care to as some cards will offer a better return than others.