Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to all credit card welcome offers, earning rates and benefits and some credit card benefits will require enrollment. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express is running a new targeted offer for spending at Amazon and because this is an offer that covers some of the more high-spending weeks of the year (Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the December Holidays), it should be an offer that most targeted cardholders can max out with relative ease.
Earn bonus Membership Rewards points at Amazon
Get 5 additional Membership Rewards® points for each dollar spent on qualifying purchases made using your enrolled eligible Card online at Amazon.com by 12/31/2023. Limit of 2,500 Membership Rewards points.
- By enrolling and making an eligible purchase, you understand that American Express is sharing with Amazon your redemption of this Amex Offer.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer valid only for purchases made at Amazon.com and via the US Amazon mobile app using your enrolled eligible American Express Card after enrollment and prior to 12/31/2023.
- Excludes corporate gift card and custom-designed gift card purchases.
- Not valid at international sites owned and/or operated by Amazon or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon.com.
- Excludes Prime memberships and auto-renew subscription services.
- Offer not valid for Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, or Amazon Drive. See Amazon.com for shipping policy.
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars.
- Additional points will be credited to your Membership Rewards program account within 90 days after 12/31/2023, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Any additional points you receive through this offer are in addition to the points you would normally receive for purchases charged to your Card, but the number of additional points you receive will be based on the purchase price after any credit or other discount is applied.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the targeted offer.
The last Amazon offer that I recall Amex publishing was for 5 bonus points per dollar for a maximum of 1,500 points, so this offer is an improvement on that.
Unfortunately, I can only see this offer targeted to card_name and not to any of my consumer cards so it may be that this is a narrowly targeted offer
The total number of points/dollar you’ll earn by using this offer will depend on the Membership Rewards card to which you load the offer, but all targeted cardholders can only earn 2,500 bonus points.
As far as I can see, there’s no reason to think that Amazon gift card purchases and reloads will not trigger this offer as the terms and conditions only rule out corporate gift cards and custom-designed gift cards. That should make it pretty easy to make sure that you don’t leave any points behind.
card_name ordinarily earns me 2 points/dollar on up to $50,000 of spending (1 point/dollar thereafter), so in conjunction with this offer, it will earn me 7 points/dollar on up to $500 of spending at Amazon.com which, as I value Membership Rewards points at 1.5 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them with relative ease), is an effective return of 10.5%.
Considering that I’ll trigger the full bonus without spending any money that I wouldn’t otherwise be spending (because I do a lot of shopping through Amazon), that’s a pretty nice deal.
American Express is currently targeting cardholders with an offer of 5 bonus points per dollar spent through Amazon.com with a maximum of 2,500 bonus points on offer. Cardholders should choose which of their targeted cards they load the offer with care to as some cards will offer a better return than others.