Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
Hawaiian Airlines has announced that it will be launching a new non-stop between Las Vegas and Hawaii from later this year and, to celebrate the new route, the airline is offering special promotional fares for bookings made by 14 August (today!)
Hawaiian’s New Las Vegas Route
From 15 December 2019 Hawaiian Airlines will offer a new service between Las Vegas and Maui using its Airbus A321 aircraft. The new route will operate 4x/week on the following schedule:
HA31 LAS 06:30 – 11:00 OGG (Mon, Tue, Thu & Sat)
HA32 OGG 20:50 – 04:30+1 day LAS (Mon, Wed, Fri & Sun)
When I first saw this route mentioned I wondered if it may be an economical option for Angelenos who’d like to visit Maui (LAX – Maui fares can be ridiculously expensive), but it looks as if the new route’s timings aren’t particularly helpful in that respect.
With a departure time of 06:30 an overnight stay in Vegas would be required (for the night before travel) and with an arrival time (back into Vegas) of 04:30 the savings would have to be substantial to make up for the added travel required, the added hotel cost and the antisocial hours.
I don’t think this is going to be a viable alternative to LAX.
That issue aside, we also have the issue of the aircraft Hawaiian is planning to use on this route – its new Airbus A321neo.
You only have to take a quick look at the seating details supplied by SeatGuru to see the biggest issue with the aircraft – the Economy Class seat pitch.
A 30” seat pitch is just about the smallest amount of legroom you’ll find in an Economy Class cabin on a legacy US airline and considering the flights in question are in excess of 5 hours and considering the flight between Maui and Las Vegas is an overnight flight, that’s unacceptable – this is the same amount of seat pitch that American Airlines offers in its abysmal 737 MAX 8 Economy Class cabin.
You’d have to pay me a LOT of money before I’d voluntarily sit in a seat with just 30” of pitch on a flight of this length – life is too short to put up with that kind of misery
The “Extra Comfort” seats which offer 35” of seat pitch should be perfectly acceptable and will be the seats people should go for if the price isn’t ridiculous…but I keep looking at the number of regular Economy Class seats the aircraft offers (129) and finding myself pitying every single person who unwittingly ends up having to put up with this abomination (how many people outside of the miles & points hobby compare seat pitch before booking?).
Hawaiian Airlines’ New Route Offers
As an introductory offer, Hawaiian Airlines is offering one-way fares on this route from $199.
The promotional fare is subject to the following conditions:
- Book by 14 August 2019
- Travel 15 December 2019 – 12 February 2020
- Backout dates: To Hawaii 19 December – 23 December & from Hawaii 30 December 2019 – 6 January 2020.
- The number of seats available in this fare class during the travel period shown are limited and may change at any time without notice.
- Fare includes government taxes and fees and carrier fees.
- Fare is non-refundable, non-transferrable, and non-endorsable.
- Travel must only be on flights operated by Hawaiian Airlines.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the offer page.
In addition, Hawaiian Airlines is offering HawaiianMiles members an additional 10% off (via an e-certificate) for a limited time.
- This E Certificate applies only to coach class travel for non-stop flights between Kahului, HI and Las Vegas, NV.
- Can only be used by HawaiianMiles members at the time of initial booking made online at HawaiianAirlines.com from 8/12/2019 through 8/14/2019.
- This E Certificate can be redeemed online by logging in to your HawaiianMiles account and booking via the special E Certificate #EC19017.
- Discount will only be applied to purchases as part of this promotion.
- Payment must be received upon reservation confirmation.
- Travel must occur from 12/15/2019 through 2/12/2020.
- Blackout dates: 12/19/2019 through 12/23/2019 to Hawaii; 12/30/2019 through 1/6/2020 from Hawaii.
- Discount is not valid on codeshare flights.
- Discount does not apply to previous purchases, corporate fares, vacation packages or dollar-mile combination bookings.
- Discount is only valid towards a one-time purchase of up to seven passengers for travel on the same date, route and flight.
- Discount is applicable to the base fare and not applicable to taxes and fees.
- Further discounts are not permitted for child/infant fares, and this Discount may not be combined with any other discounts, promotions, tour package or First Class upgrade certificates.
- Discount applicable to one-way and roundtrip web fares for Hawaiian Airlines scheduled flights.
- Discount is not valid for multi-city reservations.
- This discount is not transferable and has no cash value.
- Limited supplies are available.
- If you make changes to your reservations after ticketing, the value of the original Discount will not be applied to your new itinerary.
- Fare is subject to availability.
- Subject to date and fare changes anytime without notice.
- Other restrictions apply.
- Additional baggage charges apply.