Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Following on from its great offers on Air France and ANA flights American Express is back with another big offer a little closer to home with targeted cardholders able to earn 20,000 Membership Rewards Points for bookings made with Air Canada.
Details in brief:
“Get 20,000 additional Membership Rewards points one-time by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $1,000+ in one or more eligible transactions online at aircanada.com/us/en by 12/18/2019.”
Headline Terms & Conditions:
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards that are enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of purchase are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer is non-transferable.
- ELIGIBLE PURCHASES: Offer valid for purchases made directly with Air Canada® through the U.S. website edition (aircanada.com/us/en) or Air Canada mobile+ app.
- All purchases must be charged in USD to qualify.
- Excludes gift cards, e-gift cards, group bookings, hotels, car rentals, and Air Canada Vacations packages.
- Not valid for purchases through Air Canada Cargo, Air Canada Jetz, partner sites, agents, affiliates and third parties that link to/from aircanada.com.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the AMEX offer page (assuming you’ve been targeted for this offer).
There’s quite a bit of good news here…
Firstly, the $1,000 spending that is required to trigger the 20,000 Membership Rewards Points bonus doesn’t have to be made all in one go. As long as all the terms and conditions of the offer are followed all Air Canada Bookings made and charged during the promotion period should count towards the $1,000 target.
Secondly, there’s no restriction on where flights have to originate (often these deals restrict the offer to flights originating in the US) so as long as you book through the US website and make sure you’re charged in US Dollars your bookings should qualify for the promotion.
I tested out a booking for travel between Vancouver and Hong Kong on the Air Canada USA website and I got all the way to the payment page without being redirected to a different Air Canada page and without the currency being changed away from US Dollars:
Thirdly, as I value Membership Rewards Points at 1.5 cents each this AMEX offer is essentially giving targeted cardholders an effective rebate of $300. That represents a rebate of up to 30% for anyone who can restrict their spending to as close to $1,000 as possible (without going under).
This is yet another great offer from American Express and if you find this offer targeted on your Platinum Card from American Express (which offers 5 points/dollar on all airfare spending made directly with airlines), my calculations suggest that that’s equivalent to a further rebate of 7.5% – not a bad deal at all 🙂