Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
One of my (many) failings is that I tend to skim across the offers that Amex targets me for with my brain often only registering the offers for well-known hotel chains, airlines, and consumer brands and that’s how I very nearly missed the targeted offer for spending with Preferred Hotels (I’ve never heard of them). Fortunately, today was one of my more alert days and after checking which hotels this offer covers, I’m glad I was paying a little bit more attention than usual.
Spend $300 & Get $60 Back At Preferred Hotels
Get a one-time $60 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $300+ in one or more transactions on room rate and room charges when you pay for your stay with Preferred Hotels & Resorts from 9/8/2021 to 12/15/2021
- Enrollment limited. Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid on reservations for Preferred Hotels & Resorts which must be made online at preferredhotels.com, via the I Prefer app or by calling 1-866-990-9491.
- Offer only valid at Preferred Hotels & Resorts in the US & US territories.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- The enrolled Card account must not be cancelled or past due to receive statement credit.
- Any benefit earned from this offer is in addition to the rewards (i.e. Membership Rewards or cash back) earned as part of your existing Card benefits, but your ability to earn spend-based rewards for the purchase will be based on the amount after any statement credit or other discount is applied.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 12/15/2021, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions.
As I mentioned in the opening paragraph, I’ve never heard of “Preferred Hotels” and until I took a closer look at the hotels this promotion covers I assumed that it was a group of small and relatively uninteresting properties that were trying to sound upscale by using the word “preferred” in their collective name. I was wrong.
A quick look at the Preferred Hotels’ website shows that it’s a collection of over 650 “independent hotels and independent hotel experiences” across over 80 countries, and even though this offer only covers properties in the US and US territories, some of the properties at which this discount is available look very good.
- Pendry West Hollywood, California
- Pendry Manhattan, New York
- SLS Hotel & Residences Miami, Florida
- Rancho Bernardo Inn San Diego, California
- Montage Kapalua Bay, Hawaii
- Balboa Bay Resort, Newport Beach, California
- Inn By The Sea, Cape Elizabeth, Maine
- Boston Harbour Hotel, Massachusetts
- Windsor Court Hotel, New Orleans, Louisiana
A key thing that I noticed while browsing through the Preferred Hotel collection is that while there are some very high-end properties in the portfolio (e.g. Carneros Resort & Spa in Napa), there are plenty of very good and reasonably priced properties too – you should have to blow your savings just to make the most of this offer.
As far as how to make the most of this offer goes, I’ve chosen to load it to my Blue Business Plus® card from American Express because it hasn’t been targeted to any of my other cards that offer a bonus for travel or hotel spending – the 2 points/dollar that the Blue Business Plus card offers (terms apply) is a better return than I’ll get on any other Amex card – but if you’re seeing this offer in your account, hopefully, you’ll have it available on a card like the Amex Green Card which will earn you, amongst other bonuses, 3 points/dollar on travel or, if you’re traveling for business, the American Express® Business Gold Card which can earn you up to 4 points per dollar (terms apply).
Note: All information about the American Express® Green Card has been collected independently by Traveling For Miles. The American Express® Green Card is not currently available through Traveling For Miles.
Amex has launched a new targeted offer for spending with Preferred Hotels through the middle of December. Make sure you read the terms and conditions of your targeted offer carefully before making any bookings and make sure you add the offer to a credit card that will earn you bonus points for travel/hotel stays to ensure that you maximize your earnings.